I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spine Questions
Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: September 09, 2009 12:39AM

I have been spineing rods for some time now, but have recently run into some things that have me wondering if I might be doing this correctly. I build rods that are multi-piece. I recently built a 2 piece Sage fly rod. The blank came from Sage with marks on both pieces. Sage said that this blank was marked to be built where they would build the rod. They said that they do not spine blanks any more, but build them so the rod is straight. I taped the guides on the blank using their marks but didn't like the feel of the rod. I went back to my old method and built the rod on the spine. The next rod I built was a 4 piece St. Croix SC V, 9' 5 wt. I actually took the blank to a friend of mine that builds fly rods for a company in my home town. He spined each of the 4 pieces on his jig. I got the blank home, put the pieces together on his marks, and spined the whole blank as a unit. The spine was off from his marks. I took the rod apart, and spined each section. The spines of each section were right on the first marks. I put the bottom 2 sections together, and the spine changed from the original marks, added the third section, and the spine changed, and changed again when I added the forth section. I am currently working on 2 Pac-Bay 2 piece blanks, and once again noticed that the marks I made when I spined each section changed when I put them together. Have any of you noticed this change in spine, or am I just going a little nuts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spine Questions
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 09, 2009 01:28AM

Many rod builders no longer spine as they feel it has no significance in the rods performance. Most of those I know who have abandoned the spining have gone to the "straightest axis" approach.

I have yet to have anyone convince me of the real benefits of spineing. I have cast many fly rods configured with and without spining and find no measurable difference.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2009 06:00PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: September 09, 2009 07:27AM

For multiple piece rods, you will find that the spine can be different as you put the sections together. The way I was shown with a 4 piece rod, is to start with the tip and second section first and work your way down to the butt section.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 09, 2009 07:40AM

Remember that the spine is not a thing - it is an effect. So when you assemble the rod the overlaps at the ferrule change the position of the overall effect slightly.

It really doesn't matter as spine has no effect on rod twist nor casting accuracy.

Posted by: Paul Enston (---.storm.ca)
Date: September 09, 2009 01:37PM

I've found a lot of times I spine a blank, it comes out crooked. I just build them straight now and forget about spining. Most of the major rod companies probably don't either.

Posted by: Shane Pierson (96.14.223.---)
Date: September 09, 2009 02:40PM

This is another one of them things that will be argued forever. But my thought is are we not building rods that are supposed to out preform factory rods? If we do something one way just because thats the way the factory does it. Next thing you know we have factory rods with pretty decorations on them. I always spine my rods. This means that they are not always on the straightest axis. If its really noticeable then maybe a change may have to be made. But it sure dont hurt to check. Its just one more step.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: September 09, 2009 03:45PM

My two cents...until spining the blank is actually proven to provide some sort of advantage, I'll continue building on the straightest axis.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: roger wilson (---.146.100-90.dsl.ttc-cmc.net)
Date: September 09, 2009 07:32PM

I agree on the straight and true.
I will sight down each section of a multi piece rod and mark the straight side of the blank.
I will assemble the blank and insure myself that the overall length of the rod is still on the straightest assembled axis of the blank.

Then, I go and build.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 11, 2009 12:33AM

I too build on the straight axis. However, I also do find the spine and mark them. (In addition to other items like weight, center of gravity, power) I use the spine as an additional factor to control power of the rod.

Mo

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 12, 2009 12:56PM

No one has been able to prove or even give me a technical reason to show me that there is ANY reason/benefit in spining a rod except that Dale Clemons said to do it and that's just the way it should be done! Believe me, if I thought it was of ANY benefit, I would be spining. I spined all my blanks when I was starting out but since I quit doing it, I am unable to discern any difference.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster