I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Seeker did not hold truck test.
Posted by: Danny Condruti (---.sprint.com)
Date: September 07, 2009 09:13PM

Looking for best graphite rod, I have seen the ad with the Graphite USA rod under the truck and holding!. I have a 6" butt piece from the Seeker CJB90F rod and have tried the same thing...the Seeker rod did not hold the truck, it crushed like a soda can. I can post pictures if interested.

Please keep the internet green!
Recycle electrons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seeker did not hold truck test.
Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 07, 2009 09:56PM

Well...... I guess you better hope the fish doesn't run over your rod!!! LOL..

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.nclxtn.lexcominc.net)
Date: September 07, 2009 10:11PM

Was it the same truck, with same tires and weight? Was it rolled on in the same manner? I'm with John I certainly hope a fish doesn't run over it, but Sponge Bob shouldn't cause to big of a deal.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 07, 2009 10:20PM

Most rod and blank manufacturers do not intend for their rods to be run over and if they are, there is no guarantee that they'll hold up.

Date: September 07, 2009 11:56PM

What do you mean not to run a truck over the rod??? Am I fishing the wrong way?
I am not putting Seeker down, just happened to have 6-7" off the butt and I tried to duplicate the ad.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 07, 2009 11:57PM

All that would show is compression strength anyways (I think)

Flex strength is what you are looking to quantify. You may or may not be comparing two remotely similar blanks as well.

I really dont think any blank was ever intended to be run over by a truck anyhow. LOL

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 08, 2009 07:27AM

If you air down your tires I wonder what would happen with any blank.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 08, 2009 10:38AM

Danny;
That is not really a fair test and not fair to seeker. With the piece so short of course it is not going to be able to maintain the blanks hoop strength. On top of that with it just being a piece, It could have come off a damaged blank to begin with and been damaged before the test.

To maintain integrity, you need to take a new blank that has not been damaged then run it over with the truck.
You should run the test with 4 or 5 blanks to lesion the chance that the new blank you are testing was not defective also.

Please post your findings so that we have accurate information from which to make proper assessments with.

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: September 08, 2009 10:38AM

I am very glad you posted this..... I had planned to build a set of rods for driving over and will now remove Seeker from the list of possible candidates!

In all seriousness I think such advertisements are a bit off the shelf anyway. I am not sure what it is that they are supposed to convey. Is a blank that can withstand being driven over somehow a better fishing tool than one that fails under the weight of a vehicle? I think such an advertisement appeals more to the uninformed fisherman than to more well informed rod builders.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 08, 2009 12:42PM

there is got to be a trick to it. Like Billy said, take some air out of the tire that is going over the rod. Softer tire may work. Got a few blanks to test ??? LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 08, 2009 01:08PM

A bit more info:
The truck is a Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi with a camper shell on it and loaded with 200lb stuff in the back.
I placed the 6-7" section of the butt under the front left tire and rolled slow over it. I felt the hump and WHEN I opened the door (rocking the truck) the rod crushed in two piceces. A lighter car would heve been OK I guess.
If anybody wants the pictures, send me your email where to send them.

Recycle electrons.

Date: September 08, 2009 01:50PM

I'm not aware of what practical purpose this serves. Have you tried this same experiment with your cell phone, or perhaps your toaster oven?

Seeker does not advertise their products as being suitable for use under the weight of trucks or cars.

Posted by: Lou Wasmund (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: September 08, 2009 02:14PM

I know how it ends up with a possum.

Date: September 08, 2009 02:52PM

Wow, what a firestorm I started....
Again, my Seeker rod or Seeker Co has nothing to do with this. I took the left over piece from the garbage (is anybody offended that I trew that piece in the garbage?) and tried to duplicated an ad off the net and see if is true or not. But, if you send me your rods, for the right price I will test them under the truck. The testing price starts ar $199.99 and up. I start holding my breath right now...

Recycle electrons.

Date: September 08, 2009 03:48PM

See if what is true? Seeker has never advertised their blanks as being made for nor able to withstand the weight of a truck rolled over them.

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 08, 2009 03:50PM

I have a bunch of blanks laying around.... I might have to try this!! NOT !! Were not putting you down for trying it but it really doesn't serve a purpose or prove very much. Got all of us talking though!! Now.. lets hook the rod and reel to the truck and do a pull test!!! We will use one of XL rods Seeker Hurcules blanks!! The Hemi might win but not with out a fight!! LOL

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 08, 2009 03:59PM

Danny I wasn’t offended and don't think anyone else was either, just having some fun.
If on the other hand I offended you I truly apologize it was not meant to be so.

This is with out a doubt the best sight on the internet to garnish truly valuable info on rod building, but some times even we get a little off track. Don’t let your first experience keep you from plugging in.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 08, 2009 07:01PM

I have done "step on" tests with the butt ends aka cut offs of all sorts of blanks from a variety of companies. My experiance has been any of the small diameter thick walled blanks resist crushing much more than a thicker OD blank with a thinner wall. A GUSA MEga Mag I was able to crush, but the Wahoo I was not, nor was I able to crush the Monster. THe new Hercules series of blanks I've been working on with Seeker have all held up. Certain Calstar blanks (their Tuna series) held up, but the grafighters did not.

What's the point?

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: September 08, 2009 08:35PM

so is there going to be a rod crush resistance test in the parking lot of the ICRBE too?

If so, I'm bringing my ugly stick... they are "guaranteed strength and sensitivity."

I may submit it for the casting competition too!

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2009 09:57PM

Alex Dziengielewski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> so is there going to be a rod crush resistance
> test in the parking lot of the ICRBE too?
>
> If so, I'm bringing my ugly stick... they are
> "guaranteed strength and sensitivity."
>
> I may submit it for the casting competition too!

Before or after ??

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster