I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Choosing the right blank
Posted by: Les Stewart (---.rh3.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: September 07, 2009 03:15PM

I haven't built a ton of rods but have built them for myself and friends. I keep having a continuous problem. People will ask (or I will think about) building a rod for a certain application like a flipping rod or crank bait rod for bass fishing. How do you go about deciding which blank to buy when you can't check the blank in person? There is nowhere close to me that sells blanks where I can go to get a feel for the action of the blank.

If somebody ask you to build a 7' 6" one piece flipping rod with plenty of backbone and a lively tip how would you order a blank? What if he said that he wanted a rod with a parabolic bend? I can't afford to keep an assortment of blanks on hand because I'm not trying to run a "rod shop" I just like building rods and helping out my close friends get a good rod at a good price.

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2009 03:18PM by Les Stewart.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Choosing the right blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 07, 2009 03:53PM

What you've just done is one of the best uses of this forum - no builder can maintain an absolutely complete knowledge of all the various blank models out there. So there is nothing at all wrong with coming here and asking for specific recommendations for task specific fishing situations. Consider the users here your own knowledge base of sorts and use it to your advantage whenever needed. Most are happy to help.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 07, 2009 03:53PM

the first thing do is to get with my customer and ask emnough question to know as close as posible exactly wht he is looking for in the rod he is wanting you to build.
The second thing I would most likey do is to post on this forum as you have. and ask specific questions pertaining to what your client is looking for. You will get several very varied oppions if you ask general questions.
But if you ask both your client and this forum specific questions. You will get several speific answers and start noticing a trend in which blanks perfrom well for different techniques, which will narrow your chioces down allowing to make an informed desigion

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 07, 2009 04:02PM

Flipping sticks are availabe in a moderate to slow actoion or a faster action blanks for very specific reasons. It depends on the lure type, cover, hook set and action/power combination desired.

Blanks with a faster action for creature jigging in heavy cover and punch type available in the Castaway XP3 Line:

BB1

7'6" Length Line # 12 - 25 Lure Oz. - 3/8 - 1 1/2 PWR - XH Action - Fast
Butt Dia. - 0.618 Tip - 6.5 Wt. Oz. - 3.0

BB2 Big

7'6" Length Line # 15 - 30 Lure Oz. - 1/2 - 2 1/2 PWR - XH Action - Mod Fast
Butt Dia. - 0.618 Tip - 6.5 Wt. Oz. - 3.1

If you are concerned about fish loss close to boat when using braid a slower action blank may be preferred.

The Castaway XP3 874 blank is a true treasure when in the hands of a custom builder seeking versatility for building task specific rods for tournament as well as recreational bass fishermen. This 7'3" multi modulus blank was designed by bass fishermen using concepts that provide a truly unique rod blank that is on target for several task specific techniques.

The XP3s 874 is rated for 10 - 80 lb braid with a lure weight range of 1/2 - 1 1/2 ounces. The moderate action and XH power are perfectly matched when using non stretch braid to insure proper blank loading for soft lure presentation and a hook set softness that will not "rip lips" during a close to the boat final head shake. When "the big one" in solidly hooked the brute power of the blanks higher modulus lighter rear section "kicks in" to insure speedy fish recovery from heavy cover.

The XP3 874 blank is the choice for frogs, flipping, pitching, grass, and punch.

If you are interested in more information on these blanks and their specific use conditions please use the Contact Us button at:

It may help if you use the Control Center at the top of the forum page and Unhide your email address so that others may contact you directly.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 07, 2009 06:43PM

Les,
One of the best things you can do is pick a line of blanks and "get to know them". You can buy a few of the blanks in various powers and sizes and build them for yourself and friends. You might not buy and build every model, but you'll have a good idea if you stick with rods from the same line for the same species. For example, if you buy and build the Batson RX8 in 6'6" medium and 7' heavy, you'll have a pretty good idea of what the line is like. For more certainty, you can check with one of the sponsors that carries those blanks and ask them questions to help make your decision.

Another good thing to do is get to know and build a relationship with a dealer. If you order most of your stuff from the same dealer, he/ she will be able to help you pick out blanks based on what you've built and what you're looking for. As an example, I have a Castaway 905 that I bought from the Swampland guys. I was looking for something as powerful as the 905 but with a softer tip, similar to what you mention, and talked to Bill and Lance. They were able to steer me to the BB1 and it worked out great. On many occasions, I've called or emailed a sponsor on the left and asked for a blank with certain characteristics. It helps if you have a shared point of reference like I had with the Swampland blanks.

Finally, Tom and Steve's advise about using the forum is great. Chances are many on here have looked for and built exactly what you're looking for. The forum is a great resource with tons of useful information and very helpful people.

Best,
Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2009 06:47PM by Robert Russell.

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.rh3.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: September 08, 2009 05:02PM

Thanks for the responses guys, to me it seems like deciding on the correct blank when you can't touch it is the hardest part.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: September 09, 2009 06:11PM

You can also contact the supplier and ask :)

IFS904
Rainshadow Flipp'n Stick

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # IFS904-M 7' 6" 1pc Med Flippin Stick - Matte Clear
Butt cap: HDCCBC20F High Density Cork Composite Butt Cap with Flare
Reel Seat: GTB16C-13.5-TC Graphite Trigger Blank Exposed w/cushion -True Light Tich
Reel Seat Shim: n/a
Fore Grip: FG35A-250 3 1/2" Cork Fore Grip .250" ID "A" Grade Cork
Rear Grip: RGS12A-350 12" Cork Rear Grip Straight 'A' Grade
Winding Check: LTCWC505 Lt TitCar Plated Winding Check .505" I.D.
Hookeeper: TCHKS Small Hook Keeper TiCH
Tip Top TCPCT08F07.0 TICH w/o Chrome Plated 'P' Top 08 TICH Flanged Ring 7.0 Tube
Guides (see below for size and quantity) LTCUDCG Lt TitCar Plated S/S Double Foot U Frame Guide TiCH Ring

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st LTCUDCG08 5"
2nd LTCUDCG08 10.5"
3rd LTCUDCG08 16.5"
4th LTCUDCG08 23"
5th LTCUDCG10 29.75"
6th LTCUDCG10 38.25"
7th LTCUDCG12 48.25"

CB70M
Crank Bait Rods

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # CB70M-M 7' 1pc Med Crank Bait - Matte Clear
Butt cap: EVABC20 EVA Butt Cap 19.8 mm
Reel Seat: GTBTG16C-10.0 Size 16 Graphite Casting Blank Exposed Trigger Reel Seat, Textured Gray
Reel Seat Hood: GTT16C-SN-TC Hood w/cushion Single Nut for GTBTG16 - True Light Tich
Fore Grip: WFG2.5 Woven Foregrip 2.232" Length
Use with WFGRC, WFGFC, and WFGPB - EVA End Caps and Shim
Rear Grip: WHGRY-10 cut to 9" 10" Woven Graphite Handle-Gray (1.05" OD / .970" ID)
Use with WHKAx2, WBBC, and WBTC - EVA End Caps and Shims
Winding Check: AWC375 Aluminum Winding Check .375" I.D.
Hookeeper: TCHKS Small TiCH Hook Keeper
Tip Top XTCPPZT06R04.5 SS316-RRD-P Top 06 'Z' Ring 4.5 Tube - TICH w/o Chrome
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XPTCFZG SS316- TICH w/o Chrome Single Foot Fly Guide Ground w/ Z Ring RRD
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XTCLXNZG SS316-LXN Guide w/'Z' ring -TiCH w/o chrome-ALPS

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st XPTCFZG06 3.75"
2nd XPTCFZG06 7.75"
3rd XPTCFZG06 12"
4th XPTCFZG06 16.5"
5th XPTCFZG07 21.5"
6th XPTCFZG07 27"
7th XTCLXNZG08 33.5"
8th XTCLXNZG10 41.125"
9th XTCLXNZG12 50"

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster