I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson IMU blanks?
Posted by: Will Dea (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2009 02:40PM

Hey fellas has anyone else build up rods using the Batson Musky blanks for saltwater? If so, for what application/species?

Been thinking of wrapping up a few for bottom fishing here in NorCal and AK using heavy iron. Maybe even wreck fishing out in GOM.

Figured the blanks are plenty light and I figured if they can handle a +40lb and then some Musky, bottom fish shouldn't be an issue.

Suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson IMU blanks?
Posted by: Kenneth W Price (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 07, 2009 04:18PM

I do not think they are still stocking them blanks,,,Karry or Bill will chime in on this .

I was pointed to the ISWB Blanks,, Which I must say are awsome.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 07, 2009 06:07PM

IMU's are still listed in the catalog and on the website. I made two for boat rods, black bass and lingcod. Never came close to 40#, but a good blank for inshore.

Date: September 07, 2009 08:19PM

Hey Grant, how do you like them?

Posted by: cody delmere (---.dhcp.ftwo.tx.charter.com)
Date: September 07, 2009 08:20PM

i have an imu 876 that is spiral wrapped that performs well for light bottom fishing and butterfly jigging. it shines though live baiting or throwing large topwaters for king mackeral and cobia when they are higher in the water column. i personally think its too light for bottom fish over 12 or 15 lbs. when you can get them on top further from structure, it is a nice rod to fish with.

Date: September 07, 2009 09:14PM

Yes they are present in the book and site , but not for sale if you notice the double**on the site ; IMU757 ** thru IMU946 ** might not be avalible. I tried to get a few of the IMU907, but was told they was no more..

But the 7 New Musky / Saltwater Blanks for 2009-2010
IMU66MH-TC Titanium Chrome thru IMU76XH-TC, I'd say are good to go.

Sorry I have'nt seen them yet and glad you have brought them to my attention.

Date: September 07, 2009 10:12PM

Hmm, thanks for the info Ken....I was beginning to wonder what the double askerisks meant....looks like Batson is 86 those models in favor of a few new ones...

Looks like they changed up the model designations and line ratings to boot...

Karry you there? Read us in....

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fll.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 07, 2009 10:56PM

When I asked the same question Karry suggested the rclb series. Reading between the lines I got the feeling they would stand up to salt water fishing better. I have picked up two blanks but have not built them yet. I'd say thay are under rated and to count on fishing them near their maximum line rating.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: September 09, 2009 05:48PM

The New Musky blanks are amazing with pound break strength that would pull a truck. What does this information tell you you may ask. When we design a blank we also test them to failure by applying pound drag from the tip and pulling the rod until it explodes. Its probably not a test you would want to try at home. The tip is actually pulled almost past the butt to reach this type of failure. If anyone has ever tried to set there drags at 50 pounds you would completely understand how strong the new series of Musky blanks are and yes these would be fantastic for salt water fishing and ultimately why we redesigned them.

IMU66MHF= 35 pound Break strength.
IMU72MHF= 35 pound Break strength.
IMU710MHF=40 pound Break strength.
IMU70MF=30 pounds Break Strength.
IMU76HF=45 pounds Break Strength.
IMU69XH=40 Pounds Break strength.
IMU76XHF=50 Pounds Break Strength.

7 New Musky / Saltwater Blanks
We are introducing 7 brand new Musky / Saltwater designs for the upcoming season. These new blank models feature designs that
incorporate 3 different proprietary materials for the highest possible strength and sensitivity. We used special modulus positioning
techniques to achieve the power, action, and strength we were looking for. There are models to cover every type of Musky bait and
fishing situation out there. The blanks feature our beautiful Titanium Chrome finish. Many models cross over to Saltwater jigging and
chunking presentations and would reduce blank weight compared to typical E-glass saltwater designs.

IMU66MH-TC 6'6" 3/4?3oz 0.55 8 20?50lb fast 4.15oz 1 $112.36 All purpose
IMU69XH-TC 6'9" 2?8oz 0.64 9 36?80lb fast 4.86oz 1 $133.35 Jerkbaits
IMU70M-TC 7'0" 1/2?2oz 0.55 7 12? 25lb f ast 3.98oz 1 $97.94
Small bucktails / early
season finesse baits
IMU710MH-TC 7'10" 3/4?3oz 0.55 9 20?50lb fast 5.50oz 1 $129.00
Small to medium heavy
bucktails
IMU72MH-TC 7'2" 3/4?3oz 0.54 9 20?50lb fast 4.75oz 1 $123.18
Small to medium heavy
bucktails
IMU76H-TC 7'6" 1 1/2?6oz 0.645 8.5 30?65lb fast 5.70oz 1 $131.98
Topwaters / large
bucktails
IMU76XH-TC 7'6" 2?8oz 0.665 9 36?80lb fast 6.70oz 1 $135.32
Jerkbaits / big rubber
baits / large swim baits

The old series are about gone but still a few available if you want some of these contact our distributes while they last. I will list what we have.

IMU757-OG 21 $78.70
IMU757-M 4 $82.28
IMU786-M 18 $83.99
IMU824-M 11 $81.19
IMU827-M 26 $110.83
IMU875-M 22 $97.10
IMU876-M 3 $100.10
IMU946-M 3 $117.62
XMU916-M 36 $140.80

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.91.---)
Date: September 09, 2009 07:28PM

MIDWEST ROD AND REEL HAVE A FEW OF THE OLD IMU'S INSTOCK AND WOULD BE GLAD TO TO DISCOUNT THE FEW I HAVE LEFT...I HAVE ...
1-IMU824
1-IMU875
2-IMU786
1-IMU876
E-MAIL ME FOR PRICES

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Date: September 15, 2009 08:15PM

Karry how do you compare the differences between the new IMU Blanks and the ISWB's in action? just curious.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster