I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Repair very light blank
Posted by: Pierre Lavignotte (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: September 07, 2009 01:59PM

Hi folks,

I'll have to repair a broken rod soon.
I don't have seen it yet but my customer told me it's a very light rod, with a very soft action, and as it's broken around the 3rd guide from the tip, I think the inside diameter will be very, very small.

What material could I use to make an internal repair ?

Thanks,
Pierre

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Repair very light blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 07, 2009 03:54PM

You want to use a fiberglass over-sleeve. This is by far your best best on that blank and should be very successful. Read the article on rod repair in the library section here.

Posted by: Pierre Lavignotte (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: September 07, 2009 04:16PM

Thanks for the answer Tom.

I allready know the article about rod repair but I think an oversleeve will be ugly so I was looking for another option...

Pierre

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 07, 2009 04:32PM

It won't be as ugly as you might think and it will be your most functional option.

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: September 08, 2009 12:26PM

Pierre,

I just repaired a Lamiglas rod that had an ID small enough that I couldn't even fit a ice rod tip section inside. I used Tom's method with a glass oversleeve. You can sand the ends of the oversleeve down while turning the blank enough that it makes a very nice transition, easily wrappable with A thread. It looks fine, and has spent the last week in a downrigger catching king salmon without any issues. The repair with trim bands actually looks like an accent/decor rather than a repair.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.146.100-90.dsl.ttc-cmc.net)
Date: September 09, 2009 07:35PM

Pierre,
In addition to the correctly sized Fiberglass oversleeve, to insure that you don't stiffen the action; I also do an internal splice by using hardware store or hobby store piano wire of the correct diameter. The correct diameter of the spring steel piano wire works very well to reinforce the small internal sections of some tips of some light rods. The piano wire seems to match the overall action of the tip and does a great job of insuring that you don't end up crushing the repair joint.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster