I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

crazy giant rod blank
Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: September 06, 2009 02:39PM

Anybody know of a rod blank that can long bomb 2 to 2.5 pound lures all day long without any chance of breaking due to blank failure? This does not include surf casting rods as this is strictly for casting home-made lures long distances from boats in both salt and fresh water. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: crazy giant rod blank
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 06, 2009 03:04PM

32 - 40oz weights casted hard is kind of scary. MAybe you need some foam core plugs to decrease weight, lol.

MOst of the heavy rods we use for deep drop fishing require that much lead, but we usually flip out a few feet and drop straight down with that muich weight. A popular blank used to handle that much weight is a Seeker CSB909 with the tip cut down to I think a size 16, finished rod 8'. Whatever blank you fins is going to have to be cut from the tip, and it should be a composite or even a glass rod.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 06, 2009 03:12PM

What are you using, small animals as bait ?? LOL
maybe a solid glass blank might do it, that's a lot of weight.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.safepages.com)
Date: September 06, 2009 03:41PM

Either solid glass or solid ash, like a Louisville Slugger, should do the trick.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 06, 2009 04:30PM

The only rod I can think of that might be able to do it, and even then I doubt it, was a sturgeon blank once made by LCI Excelon. I have one here now. It's very unusual in that the butt diameter is only about 3/4 inch with a size 7 tip, but it will easily handle a full pound as hard as you can stand to throw it. Perhaps the stiffest blank for something you can actually cast that I've ever had my hands on, other than maybe one of the old Fenwick 14 foot cliff casters.

But in neither case would either handle, I think, 2 or 2-1/2 pounds. In fact, unless the rod is pretty short, I doubt the average human would be able to cast that much weight.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: September 06, 2009 06:16PM

The sturgeon shore fisherman have a huge sling shot attached to their rig's front bumper. They strip out their line and pull back and cut loose than reel in the slack. Might work on an open boat with enough room.

Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 07, 2009 11:07AM

Billy's right about 2.5 pounds of fishing lure flying around, I would not want to be in the immediate proximity of that attempt.

Posted by: Kenneth W Price (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 07, 2009 04:14PM

All I can say is WOW !!, 2-2 1/2#. What in the world are you fishing for?

Posted by: Jason Wenzel (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: September 08, 2009 11:20AM

I would try the St. Croix 2m79xxxhf. That might have a chance, I think thats about the only rod you could actually cast with.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 08, 2009 02:11PM

Would you mind posting a picture of the lure you plan on using? I'm very anxious to see what it is...

thanks,
jeremy

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: September 09, 2009 04:28PM

To all,
Thanks a lot! I just about fell out of my seat laughing! I am making home-made poppers for saltwater long bombing from moving boats in big seas. The heavier lure weights help stabilize the angler as long as you cast with the swells. Otherwise, it gets a touch dicey....especially since I use assist hooks on the popper. The poppers are heavily weighted and measure well...very long. I don't want to give too much away until I've had a chance to go nuts with them by myself for a while. That way, nobody else dies if it's a bad theory! On the lighter side of things, I've been weight lifting like nuts and taken up qi gong training to try and help prevent myself from flying off the boat in case of backlash. Cheers!!!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 10, 2009 01:51PM

Marshall arts fishing --- cool.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster