I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Filling voids in cork
Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 05, 2009 01:33PM

Just curious: when making cork paste to fill the voids and cracks in cork grips, what do you mix with the cork dust? Epoxy? Wood glue? Something else?
I have always used epoxy, but I'm wondering if others get good results with a different bonding agent.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Filling voids in cork
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 05, 2009 01:52PM

Duco cement and cork dust was a long time favorite. Many guys have since switched to standard wood putty in a color that closely matches their cork.

Keep in mind that cork dirties a bit faster and easier than does the putty. You may end up with a better match by going a little darker on the putty than the color of new, unfished, cork.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 05, 2009 02:44PM

Elmer's wood filler fits my needs. It comes in many colors and shades. If you use it and want to match the cork shad, I would recommend using a cork seal to protect the color match

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 05, 2009 03:03PM

I have found that Elmers wood putty in Golden Oak matches new cork better than any other color.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 05, 2009 03:44PM

Jay is correct on Honey Oak., The Elmer's comes in many colors so you are able to make your own shade of color you need

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: roger wilson (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: September 06, 2009 11:18AM

The posts on Elmers filler are right on. One of the nice things about this filler, is that it is very easy to work with.
It shapes nicely, and has the right consistency to machine at the same rate as cork. I

If you use wood glue or epoxy to mix with cork dust, the compound is going to be harder than standard cork and will be tough to machine nicely.
If you do use cork dust, the use of Duco cement, Sig Ment or the use of the cellulouse model air plane cement glues has the right hardness to machine nicely.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Erick Krotzer (---.dsl1.mnd.mn.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 06, 2009 12:34PM

Another user of the Elmers wood filler product here.

it is fantastic to work with, cheap as dirt, and available in many haardware stores. It is easy to spot due to its blaze orange tube. I keep a tube of the "natural" color and a tube of the "golden oak" around due to the different cork colors. If you do not use the elmers product, make sure the product you use is rated for exterior use.

I like to clean most of the black stuff out of the pits with the tip of an exacto knife to ensure a good bond.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster