I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ALPS Decals
Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range86-150.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 04, 2009 11:03PM

Just got an ALPS this afternoon and been getting it set up and playing around. Once I was making some half decent decals I wanted to do a test on a scrap blank. I dont know if you other guys with these printers have this problem but the ink seemed quite delicate on the film. On my test pcs even a VERY gentle rub or dab to bed the decal and the print would start to break off. I am using dense white.

So cut one label off recangular before putting the radius on the corners. Laid it flat and coated t with 2 coats of Chromaseal. Let dry a few hrs, cut the corners off, soaked it for 1 min and applied. It worked really well and it looks good. You can really give it a good rub and wont harm the print. No CP came off in the water while soaking.

I was wondering if this is a common problem and what solutions did anyone come up with?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ALPS Decals
Posted by: Jimi Ellis (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2009 08:42AM

Scott,
The rubbing off the letters as you are describing is a normal thing for the Alps process.

It also can be worse depending on what paper you are using.

You can apply a good coat or two of a liquid vinyl on the decal and that allows you to rub it more aggressively.

If you need any other info or have any decal questions. Please feel free to contact me off my web site.

Jimi Ellis
Southern Grafix
www.SouthernGrafix.com

Posted by: Vella (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: September 05, 2009 10:06PM

Scott, I've found the problem only happens with the white and when I use something other than Alps decal material

Posted by: Jimi Ellis (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2009 10:32AM

Bill,

Shoot me an email about the paper you are talking about. Alps even when they were in business did not make thire own paper here.

Just remember that most of the cartridges you guys are buying are probably not fresh if not all of them.

Jimi Ellis
Southern Grafix
www.SouthernGrafix.com

Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range86-150.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 06, 2009 11:53AM

Thanks for the offer of help. I just might take you up on that as I get a little more into this decal making. I am not sure what paper I have it just came with the printer and I have no idea how old it is.

Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.dmt.ntelos.net)
Date: September 06, 2009 02:00PM

Scott,

The ALPS model I have is a MD-5000 which uses "dry film" cartridges with the head applying the "film pigment" to the paper by a heated multi-pin head assembly. Thats why ALSP recommended a short rest between large runs of printing so the head would cool and not destroy itself earlier than designed.

I don't know what model ALPS you have but I am not aware of any "ink" that is used in an ALPS printer that would have a life span. However, as Bill Havens stated, I also had pigment adhesion problems with the WHITE waterslide decal paper. I have had no such adhesion problems with the clear waterslide paper.

I recommend you use the clear decal paper.

Charlie

Tightlinerods@aol.com

Posted by: Vella (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: September 06, 2009 11:01PM

Not sure how to PM on this forum, But you can get the Alps water slide material from @#$%&, They have 2 varieties 1 of them just for Alps printing. I think it's more suitable for the thermal printing. I use a lot of it and it works great. It is clear and has a thicker blue backing, Where as the standard stuff has a thinner white backing

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster