I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: A Proposal
Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: September 08, 2009 08:37PM

Just for reference as to the maximum distances attainable.

For 7.5 grams (1/4 ounce) the ACA rule states a rod is not to exceed 8' 2", while the limit for the ICSF is 2.5 meters (8' 3"). Both organizations have achieved distances of 280'. The ACA casting 1/4 ounce aluminum plugs and the ICSF casting plastic plugs.

Not exactly apples to apples, but I hope the info is useful.

There was a tournament in Texas, where the side activity was casting lures that were provided by a manufacturer. This severely limited casting distances.

Don

Don Becker

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dave schaub (63.241.190.---)
Date: September 09, 2009 03:45PM

Well, those threads were special! Tom, I believe your fear that in excess of 200 folks will want to play may be realized! At this juncture of the casting contest going on here, over 1468 people have viewed this electronic contest. I am not sure that
I will be able to come to the party but if I can, I will be packing old Betsy, the meaniest casting rod I ever built. The only trouble is, I think I am 1" too long.....oh weil. This will be a real gas but I would plan on a lot of folks turning up to throw
for the glory..... By the way, my casting technique requires about 30 yards of run up to the line because it takes that much room to get me going at top speed. Could we be sure that the provided casting plugs are brown so it will be easier
to train my pet falcon to grab it in mid-air since it will more closely resemble a mouse? (How's that for a tweek of the old gear to get some added distance???)

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 10, 2009 08:25PM

I am going to chose a popular and readily available monofiliment in .010 diameter. Same for braid. My only goal here is to control this particular variable so we focus mainly on the rods rather than the line.

We'll provide the line the day of the contest but it will be a brand and size that almost anyone can obtain locally for their own casting tests.

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster