I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: A Proposal
Posted by: Sam Hightower (---.mediageneral.net)
Date: September 06, 2009 08:04PM

Tom,

As a newbie I'm having a blast reading these post and gaining knowledge from all the posters. I don't reply much because I don't know much. I was once told by my grandfather "It's better to remain silent and be thought dumb, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Having said that, since I don't have the knowledge base to contribute to the conversation (unless you want me to start a newbie column called what you shouldn't do or lessons learned) I will be glad to volunteer as one of the two people you need to measure official distance or whatever you need done for this exercise.

Sam

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 06, 2009 08:20PM

I just may take you up on that.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 06, 2009 09:51PM

What the heck. I'm in (or I'll stand on the sidelines and measure) if I get there in time on Friday afternoon.

Summarizing:

1/ Wt to toss 3/8 oz.
2/ Max length 6.5 feet
3/ Either spinning or casting (conventional) reel
4/ Mono or braid (either one or both).
5/ 'Qualifying' cast 125' (kinda like 'jacks or better to open)? Then "best of 5".

Was there a resolution on line wt? Is this the way to go? Set the line wt at say 4 or 6lbs for mono and 10 or 20 for braid (something of equivalent diameter to the mono)?

Date: September 06, 2009 09:55PM

I have something in the works and will list the requirements in a couple weeks.

Date: September 06, 2009 10:03PM

Ok ... although I just poured through a couple of dozen blanks.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 06, 2009 11:00PM

Black Label I hope!

Date: September 07, 2009 05:42AM

Indeed -Johnny Walker

Date: September 07, 2009 08:24AM

There would be different categories for mono and braid. We will specify a particular brand and size for both - they will be readily available so everyone will have access to them for their own test casting.

The blank length will be limited to 6 feet, 6 inches in length.

I need to over to the ShowPlace and take some measurements but I suspect 3/8 ounce will be the casting weight.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.90.252.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 07, 2009 02:02PM

Richard,
Upon further review I've made an error in the blank I suggested in my earlier post. The blank should have been the Cabela's IM7 1-piece 6'6" fast MH IM7C663.
Same price blank, a little more difficult to cast so it wouldn't have been a good choice for me.
It does have a larger tip top.
Hope this hasn't been too much of an inconvience.

Gene

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 07, 2009 04:46PM

I think that the caster will have a huge impact on the distance. Technique of casting could easily overcome a better build.. I'd love to see the build specs of the top three builds.

Mo

Date: September 07, 2009 06:37PM

No doubt - I had a builder in here last week cast one of my rods. He could only hit 120 feet or so with it. I was pushing past 150 with the same rod. But a few simple casting tips got him out beyond 130.

But that's okay - you can have someone else cast your rod or do it yourself and have others cast it after the contest. I'm sure there will be a lot of that thing going on. We may add a practice casting lane on the other side of the lot for that type of thing.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2009 07:44PM

I can see it now. The Rod owner pulling up with a tow rig and enclosed trailer with plenty of parts to repair the rod along with a back up. A crew chief to set up the reel according to weather conditions, and the caster showing up in his million dollar motor coach just in time to cast . Sort of like NASCAR.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: September 07, 2009 08:50PM

Fred!!! Good to see you posting - where is Tunnel Man - this thread is special soap mouth material! I am quite sure a few casting shills will arrive for the contest in a private motor coach or limo - my hired gun will be flown in from Birmingham and will be arriving by parachute drop! Do you remember the saying on the back collar of the shirt last year? It really will be appropriate this year!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Laissez Les Bon Ton Roule!

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: September 07, 2009 09:11PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There would be different categories for mono and
> braid. We will specify a particular brand and size
> for both - they will be readily available so
> everyone will have access to them for their own
> test casting.
>
> The blank length will be limited to 6 feet, 6
> inches in length.
>
> I need to over to the ShowPlace and take some
> measurements but I suspect 3/8 ounce will be the
> casting weight.
>
> ...............

Tom,

You may want to consider a 1/4 ounce plug (7.5 grams) to minimize distance and impact.

Please see link for reference to plugs and distances attainable as well as plug pictures.
[www.stripersonline.com]

For comparison, I measured an 18 gram ICSF plug. Length 2 1/2 inches and a diameter 7/8 inch.

I do not know the rod or line diameters used.

Don

Don Becker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2009 12:39AM by Don Becker.

Date: September 07, 2009 10:22PM

I'm going to take a few measurements and then determine what length and casting weight will keep us within the confines of the lot, although I think we can go up to 3/8 ounce without running out of room.

Date: September 07, 2009 10:28PM

The ACA rods are more than two times the length of the rods proposed -

Date: September 08, 2009 08:28AM

The ACA isn't paying for the ShowPlace parking lot.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: September 08, 2009 09:44AM

3/8 seems a little heavy for a spinning rod, a more real life test would be half of that. I wouldn’t use a spinning rod to cast a 3/8oz bait and if I did it certainly wouldn’t be 6’6” long. I have been in the parking lot so I appreciate needing to keep the distance in check, but it would be a shame to have to build a rod that you wouldn’t want to fish with after the competition. I plan to come with a rod built just like I build my own rods for fishing, but I consider a rod that short a special application rod, everything I fish with is 7 foot or longer.

Date: September 08, 2009 09:59AM

There is no length nor weight requirement that will suit everyone. The top length in terms of blanks sales for the freshwater market is 6'6". A casting weight of 3/8 ounce is smack in the middle of the most popular lure weight rating for freshwater fishing. Those facts, coupled with the size of the lot we have to work with will dictate the criteria for the contest. That's the best we can do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2009 11:07AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.213.234.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 08, 2009 07:56PM

Tom,
Have you made your deal on the line specification.
If so what will the diameter be ?

Gene

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster