I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rumor?
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: September 04, 2009 11:18AM

Heard Kistler and North Fork are going to be linking up... anyone else heard that or is it just urban legend at this point?

-----------------
AD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rumor?
Posted by: Chris Davis (---.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 04, 2009 11:33AM

Heard same thing......hmmmm. Might be supplying blanks for their factory made "custom" line of rods.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 04, 2009 11:42AM

Blank manufacturers commonly make product for a wide variety of companies outside of themselves. North Fork will certainly be making blanks for a number of rod manufacturers and for private label blank offerings as well. Kistler might be one of the companies that contracts with North Fork for certain blanks, just as they're presently contracting with other blank makers for the blanks they use now. This is not the same thing as "linking up." At least I wouldn't call it that.

Blanks made for sale to other companies are not necessarily the same ones the blank manufacturers offer under their own label. Kistler may very well build some rods on blanks made by North Fork, but these are not necessarily North Fork blanks, per se.

There are a handful of blank manufacturers around the world that make the blanks used by nearly all the various rod manufacturers. Very few rod manufacturers build their own blanks. In fact, very few even build their own rods any more.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 04, 2009 12:13PM

I agree with Tom! Cabela's contracts with other manufactures to build their blanks. In the past Gloomis used to build a lot of their blanks.

Good Wraps Bob

Date: September 04, 2009 12:53PM

"Kistler may very well build some rods on blanks made by North Fork, but these are not necessarily North Fork blanks, per se. "

Sure they are if they are marketed and promoted that way. If the rumor is true, then it's already been presented as them using blanks manufactured by NFC. In the eyes of the buyer it's then Kistler using a NFC blank - same as "we use Fuji guides". It's a matter of perception.

I get what you are saying - they wouldn't be the same NFC blanks as those offered in the catalog - as they would be built on different madrels/layups/stats/material/etc to the rod builder's specifications. Not available for general public purchase.

-----------------
AD

Date: September 04, 2009 02:19PM

Right, it's just like the blanks Cabelas had made by G. Loomis. Those weren't the same blanks offered by G. Loomis under their own name. They were built by G. Loomis as Fish Eagle blanks for Cabelas.

Date: September 04, 2009 02:48PM

Correct the blanks made by Gloomis and other blank manufactures for other companies are not the the same as their own named blanks. These companies tell the blank manufactures what they want. So there is not a confect of interest between the two.

Good Wraps Bob

Date: September 04, 2009 02:57PM

Point of interest, I or any one can hire a blank manufacture to build or design a blank with my design specs and call it XYZ and that design if copy wighted is mine and no one else's no matter who builds it. This is done all the time

Good Wraps Bob

Date: September 04, 2009 04:46PM

Bob - Unless I promote them being made by Company X. Then in the eye of the buyer they are Company X blanks. They don't know I have specified designs. Does two things for me as a builder/assembler:

- rides the coattails of a well known name to boost market share and build consumer confidence (again same as "We use Fuji guides")

- ability to defer product problems to the named blank manufacturer - lets say Company X builds my blanks. They have a high rate of return. It's real easy for me as a rod assembler to now say "We've fixed those problems as we're now using a new source for our blanks." What they don't tell the clueless consumer is the blanks were made to the rod builder's specs for them by company X. This throws X under the bus, but everyone moves on.

Sound familiar? Perception is reality.

-----------------
AD

Date: September 04, 2009 06:12PM

I would expect that Kistler would not tout the maker of their blanks. This is due to the fact that companies often change suppliers during the same model year and could take the same blank design to a different maker in mid-stream.

Also, some blank manufacturers do not allow rod makers to trade on their name.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 04, 2009 07:18PM

I strongly believe Tom is correct! Touting the manufacturer not only costs the flexibility to change without consequences, it also dilutes your own brand image.

Cabelas to my knowledge never advertised "made by" for their private label products. Most private label agreements inhibit the use of the manufacturers name.

Additionally, this whole issue is "much ado about nothing! If North Fork needs the private label volume to be successful so be it, it still gives us rod builders an additional and hopefully good source.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 04, 2009 08:36PM

Just about every manufacturer of anything also make products for other companies, usually to their specs. It keeps their factories running closer to capcity and reduces overhead. Sears make nothing, Cabela's makes nothing. If GLoomis made FE blanks for Cabela's according to their specs, that is not a Loomis blank, it's a Cabela's blank. Who actually rolled the blank is not as important as the design and material used. If I want to have a large number of blanks made to my specs, I'm sure I can have St.Croix, Lamiglas or any other manufacturer make them in my color and with my name on them.
I would doubt that there are many, if ANY factory that does not make blanks for for other companies

There was a recent recall of frozen pizza and when they gave the Lot number on the packages, they listed half a dozen different brands that were carrying the same lot number and came out of the same bakery Just in different packages. Look at the various mini lathes available. I would bet that many are built on the same assembly line, yet they are different brands and all have little differences in design.

This is an issue that is less than "much ado about nothing"

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: September 04, 2009 09:09PM

You're right Mike. Just watch "How it's Made".

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: September 04, 2009 11:54PM

It is not the fact that a company has their private label rods built by someone else, for example G Loomis, or another company. What is important, is the quality of the specifications for that perticular rod. Most companies have 3 or more quality levels that they market. The big companies, that is. It is the quality level that they put their name on that counts.
I would think that going with North Fork would tend to make most people think that quality is something that Kistler would insist on, with their specs. They are know for a quality product.
The blanks could be the same as what will be available to us builders, maybe speced differently. It will be a interesting thing to find out.

Just for our info, it is nice to see what is happening out there. A lot of companies, as we all know like to use junk, made outside of the states, slap their label on it, sell as cheap as they can in the box stores, or even in the retail fishing market. we see them all the time, selling for $30. Or less.

The business continues to change. We all pride ourselves on the best quality we can build. That is why I am on here, reading what you guys who have been doing this for years, have to say. We love to learn from you folks.

Hopefully Nortk Fork, and companies like Kistler will continue to make the best blanks, or have the best blanks available used in the rods they sell. . A lot of us are counting on it....
We expect the quality when we need it. We can always pick up the inexpensive blanks for cheaper builds. My problem is, I have a harder time telling the quality by looking at a blank sometimes. I am still pretty new at this... trying to learn. So with someone like me, the quality must be there when they say it is. Sometimes too dumb to know the difference, or too new at the game yet to just know. I like it when the companies takt the time to break down their rod blanks by group explaining the differences you are paying for. Very important to me. So this is 1 reason I liked the old GLoomis blank types. I hope North Fork will be the same. Looks good so far, I think.
Guys like me are learning more everyday!! You engineers keep me scratching my head at times!! This week for sure!!
Thanks for the info

I got a bit off base here. I am sorry, but kinda seemed important to say...
Kyle Robinson

Date: September 05, 2009 12:28AM

Private labeled blanks, made to a companies specs. are only done on large orders. One company I know start their special orders at $5,000 per series. What this does is, It gives the manufacture development time. Also like it was mentioned earlier it gives the private company label enough stock to cover a warranty situation. No body wants a poor designed product or a a no warranty product. Yes you can buy off shore products that well print your name and give you any color you want for a cheep price. The question is what kind of quality is that product

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 05, 2009 12:58AM

Off shore does not necessarily mean poor quality! If so, most of us would not be building on Batson blanks.

What is important is the quality specified and the quality control to assure compliance!

We are all hoping that North Fork ( Garry Loomis) will be supplying the quality that Garry is know for, but until we have some in our hands, it still an unknown.

Date: September 05, 2009 02:17AM

I did not say all off shore blanks were bad. especially Batson Products. Most of todays US blank manufactures have a offshore devision An those blanks are great

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 05, 2009 01:56PM

I sure did not refer to Batson as junk either. Their products are excellent. It was other manuf. that get their "cheap" stuff on the market.
My point is I like suppliers like Batson, becausr you know they represent quality. They take the quess work out of the equation for us "rookie" builders.
Kyle Robinson

Date: September 05, 2009 02:36PM

Batson for one take the time to fine tune their products, by going over seas and keep their quality control on a high standard. With their knowledge of blanks and components. They have been able to set higher standard that others have started to follow, that even goes for for the state side manufactures. My comment was for those companies off shore who advertise they can build you a personal blank and color it the way you want it at cheap price. In todays market cheap is what you get. My self am always looking at quality not price. An Batson has always filled my needs. They have set the standards, that others are now following. Yes I do know the Batson's personally, I also know the guys at Lamiglas blanks. I also known them for over 30 yrs. Personally they have taught me many things over the years about what to look at when looking for a blank. Being close to these two companies have help. My next step is looking into NFC and talking with Garry and see what he has to offer. From what I hear there well be some interesting changes

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 05, 2009 03:58PM

One thing that will probably never happen is Kistler referencing their blanks being made by anyone. They have not released this information in the past and I doubt they'll be starting now. Kistler has been very secretive about who or even where their blanks were made. They have not given this information out in the past and I doubt they will now.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster