I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Rodmaker & SBSS
Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2009 11:57PM

I finally got my latest Rodmaker issue! Great stuff in there regarding the simple approach to C.C.S. And a very special thanks to J.P. Timberlake for the custom reel seats, this is a wonderful option if one is not satisfied with what's available on the market today.

Here's my question...Where can I get the SBSS components? RBO search and Google haven't helped me out on this.
Thanks,

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2009 12:29AM by Steve Johnson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Rodmaker & SBSS
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 04, 2009 02:30AM

Steve,
I think the article listed the parts. I think the slip rings used on a tennessee handle, and the threaded section of a skeleton seat, or a section cut from a seat were listed and the different sizes that were available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2009 03:08PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 04, 2009 09:38AM

It's covered on the second page under "Materials." Pretty common stuff available from a variety of suppliers.

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2009 11:32AM

Ha!, I got it now. I was excited and missed the materials section I guess. Should have realized it was just a slip ring. Thanks Tom & Spencer.

Steve

Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: September 05, 2009 12:04AM

J.P. was kind enough to show me the ropes on this grip/reel seat this summer. He had it on a spinning rod and I couldn't figure out how it was made-usually I can look at something and approximately replicate it quickly because it is just a variation on a common process. This was different-it drove me crazy trying to imagine how it was constructed so I had him send me the components (pre-made but unassembled) and it still took several tries before I got it right. The hardest part was getting the "flattened section" correct as far as angle and length so the reel foot would fit smoothly and snugly. After about 3 close attempts, I got the process down-and it is a process. Once you get it down, it will always work correctly. I have built several new rods with this seat and just finished re-doing an old green St. Croix 8-foot spinning rod (replacing a thick heavy cork grip with a full length handle instead of a split grip-I have never seen a customer so amazed at how light the rod was and how great it looked.
Folks-If you try this, it will be hard to use anything else-it's light as a feather (especially split-grips), it's comfortable, it's bulletproof, you can offer it in any color of carbon fiber and it just looks cool. I've had 4 or 5 orders this week from fishermen who saw my customer's re-built spinning rod. The best thing is that you can charge a premium price because the customer can't get anything like it anywhere. I'm charging $150.00 just for the grip/seat and with the materials and time, I've got about $20.00 bucks in it. For a part-time builder like myself, being able to get $350 for a spinning rod built on a $50 (at most) blank is quite sweet. Give this a try and you'll have customers begging to have one. David Spence, Cape Custom Rods, Beaufort, NC

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: September 05, 2009 12:34AM

David wish I would have known you were in Beaufort. I was just there - same weekend as the Pirate Invasion!

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: September 05, 2009 05:52PM

It is a nice handle/seat. Should fill the hand really well. Very minimalist look to it as well.

Posted by: David Garland (---.hcrdtn.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: September 22, 2009 08:46PM

David Spence Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm charging
> $150.00 just for the grip/seat and with the
> materials and time, I've got about $20.00 bucks
> in it. For a part-time builder like myself, being
> able to get $350 for a spinning rod built on a $50
> (at most) blank is quite sweet.

Congratulations!

But I feel obligated to offer a little friendly advise.

Perhaps you should temper your enthusiasm. We live in the information age and this is a very popular site. If your current customer doesn't read your remarks, future customers might.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster