I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Tip Removal
Posted by: Charles Palmer (---.cerner.com)
Date: September 03, 2009 09:15AM

I am having a problem when replacing Rod Tips on older fishing poles. Using heat to remove it weakens the tip (usually fiberglass) and I have a tip break off (the rod itself broke at that bottom of the tip) a pole during normal use last week. I realize I am using too much heat but the older the rod the more I seem to have to use. I thought about using a dremel and cutting it off. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Tip Removal
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 03, 2009 09:19AM

Spiral cutting the tiptop, if you can do so without damaging the blank, is a good idea. I use a triangular file for the task, however, as it has less risk than a quick cutting dremel tool and cut-off wheel.

Another thing you might try is putting some tension on the tiptop when heating it for removal. Tie a wire to the tiptop and hook it to something and pull the opposite direction with the rod. Then apply (or have someone else appy) the tip of a butane lighter flame to the tiptop tube for just 3 or 4 seconds. Sometimes the cement holding the tiptop may be sufficiently softened for tiptop removal, but you don't realize this until you've heated the tip too much. Applying tension helps the tiptop come off just as soon as the cement has been weakened.

If it takes more than a couple attempts at 3 to 4 seconds heat, then cutting is probably the best route to go.

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2009 09:22AM

Usually a good amount of heat completely around tip -the with pliers pull the tip straight off. It may take a second time with good effort on the pull. Even if it is epoxy you should be ok. Bill

Posted by: Bill Davidor (---.dsl.renocs.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 03, 2009 10:02AM

I would like to augment what Tom suggested as I had the same problem and had a lot of good suggestions from this forum.
Take one or two large paper clips and "unbend" or open them up. Hook them in "series" to the ring of the guide.
Attach a rubber band to the end of the clip farthest away from the tip.
Either secure the rod so you can pull on the rubber band or get someone else to hold the rod and have them pull on the rubber band.
Use the lighter and apply heat to the clip where it is hooked onto the tip. The heat will migrate along the metal tip, soften the adhesive, and the tension on the rubber band will pull the tip off without dumping an excessive amount of heat into the rod itself.
Even though it shouldn't take a lot of tension to pull the tip off I would be inclined to wear eye protection, not stand in line with the rod and to do this in a "safe area" in case the tip comes "flying off"
Bill in Reno

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 03, 2009 10:51AM

I use a candle to heat them. Easier then the lighter.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 03, 2009 04:45PM

You've got to do the Davidor or Kirkman methods-there is no way that most people can judge when you have just enough heat. Those methods prevent you from applying too much heat. I also have damaged rods before I learned these methods, but have damaged none since.

Posted by: Charles Palmer (---.cerner.com)
Date: September 03, 2009 08:03PM

Thanks for all the input. I have been using a heat gun to put on the tips which works great as I can control it fairly easy. However, for the removal, I will use the methods learned from this post. Thanks.

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: September 04, 2009 02:52AM

I use the paper clip and rubber band attached to something with tension on the tip top. A little heat and the top pops right off, as stated above. Works great . . . don't stand in line with the tension on the rubber band.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster