I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod build
Posted by: Michael Hinton (---.83.118.70.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 02, 2009 11:44PM

I have built many rods but never a fly rod.I got my hands on a Graphite USA blank.909DH That would be a 2pc. 9' 9wt.I could use some input on putting some components together for this project.I will be building it for myself to have a little fun.I don't want to go nuts on the reel seat or guides but I don't want any junk either.Salt water 90% of the time.I'm just not real familiar with fly guides except what we've been doing with the micro-fad.I like the look of the REC guides,never used any.Maybe an aluminum reel seat,up or down,fighting but,I don't know.Need Input.Anyone up on fly rods please give me a holler.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod build
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 03, 2009 01:12AM

Your going to have lots of fun with that blank. Angler's Workshop used the GUSA blanks in their Salt Stalker line of blanks and have a decent kit set up for them. I used a 20, 16, 5 and the rest 3's on my build. I used a spacing of 5, 10 1/8, 16 1/8, 22 1/4, 29 1/2, 37 1/8, 45 3/8, 54 1/4, 65 3/16, 77 3/8.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 03, 2009 01:23AM

Up locking aluminum reel seat would be a good choice. Down locking not suitable for that heavy of a rod! Fighting butt very applicable for salt water use also.

Posted by: Adam Harbuck (---.shv.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 03, 2009 04:47PM

Can't go wrong with an aluminum uplocking Struble with a fighting butt, shouldn't have to pay more than $40 for one. Pac Bay also make good ones for less money.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 03, 2009 05:41PM

Mick -- You will never go wrong with a Fuji graphite 16 spin seat used for your fly seat. Use it up-locking with a fighting butt behind it. Also as another option, take the threaded hood off and replace if with a Fuji quick lock hood that is cover with you choice of material, cork, burl cork, etc. and a rubberized ring on the end for protection. Use a nice Full Wells style grip. For guides, I prefer ceramic ring guides for strippers and running guides. Use proper sizes that will pass fly line/ backing connection. Generally a nice size fish in the salt will put you in the backing, We Hope !! Come see me and I'll be glad to help.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.212.104.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 03, 2009 06:24PM

Full wells grip.
Up-locking graphite reel seat w removeable fighting butt.
10 guides plus tip top
H&H standard tip top
Recoil #3 titanium double foot std wire (3 reqd)
H&H #3 double foot (2 reqd)
H&H #4 double foot (3 reqd)
H&H #10 double foot stripper guide
H&H #12 double foot stripper guide

Good fishing
Gene

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 03, 2009 08:11PM

At the most, only 3 guide sizes are needed.

If you're after utility and performance, Bob has given you some great advice.

Date: September 03, 2009 09:06PM

Thanks Bob.I'll be in the first of the week to get some parts and go over some things.I talked to Todd earlier and he said he would be happy to share some ideas.You guys at the Mudhole are always a big help.I'm really looking forward to having some fun with this thing in the fall.Now for saltwater flies!
Thanks again,Mick

Date: September 03, 2009 09:17PM

Great forum.I want to thank everyone for such quick replies.
Mick Hinton

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster