I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

More woodworking questions
Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: September 02, 2009 05:43PM

I think i only need a parting tool,spindle gouge and maybe a scraper. What size do i need to turn reel seats and what would be a reasonable price for them?
Appreciate any help i can get
Thanks
Paul

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More woodworking questions
Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range86-150.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 02, 2009 06:19PM

Paul

You can pretty much get by with that. A bedan tool is a very handy to have. You can do multple things with it. One thing I would say is not to go by price when buying tools. Go with a good make like R Sorby or Crown which I use. You will notice a huge difference if you compare edge life. As always you get what you pay for.

[solwaycustomcomponents.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 02, 2009 06:49PM

I bought new tools early this year. Here's a list of what I purchased: 3/8" spindle gouge, 1/2" round nose scraper, 3/16" diamond parting tool and 3/4" roughing gouge. I bought all full-size Crown tools from Klingspor's for less than $150 ... in the door.

Crown Tools aren't cheap, but IMO they are a great value and VERY comfortable to use. Unless you do something wrong, they are a lifetime tool ... so don't worry about replacement costs.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 02, 2009 06:50PM

A roughing gouge, parting tool and bedan are all you need. You could even get by without the bedan tool.

Crown makes very good tools for the money.

Date: September 02, 2009 06:59PM

Thanks for all the comments i hope someone will want to sell some of theres and maybe i could get a price break.lol
Paul

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Calvin Mah (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: September 02, 2009 10:52PM

I would also consider the skew for getting a clean surface. Less sanding: better.

Date: September 03, 2009 08:43AM

The only problem with a skew is that it can be a bit hard to master. It often gives a beginner fits.

Date: September 03, 2009 10:09AM

i bet they will all give me fits before i become proficient. LOL

Paul

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Date: September 03, 2009 11:01AM

Woodturning is fairly easy with proper technique. It's just that the skew is easy to "catch" the wood with and with greater consequences to the workpiece than with say a gouge or a scraper. No doubt that the skew releases you from some amount of sanding but it does take time to master. I'd skip it for the time being and come back to it once you're proficient with the other tools.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 03, 2009 11:42AM

Paul once you have the tools become proficient in sharping them which is an art in itself but will save you possible heart break and injury later
John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster