I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bobber stop issue with spiral build
Posted by: Shane Pierson (174.8.145.---)
Date: September 01, 2009 05:13PM

Hello everyone,
This is my first post here all though I have read a ton over the last couple years. As with most things a lot can be answered by searching. However I just finished a build and have a small complaint from a customer and dont know what to do. I built a Spiral wrapped 10'6" steelhead rod on a 3sc106mf2 blank, using american tackle titanium guides. size 16, 12, 10, 8x7. He says he owns the same blank in a factory built rod. He states the one I built is more sensitive, casts further and is overall more than happy with the build. However he has a problem with his bobber stop. When he casts he can feel the bobber stop hit every single guide and he is afraid of it eventually knocking the front section of the pole loose and casting it into the water. He is using Puici bobber stops on Pline Hydroflo 15 lb test which is 8lb test dia. He is open to switching bobber stops if that is the answer. When I convinced him to try the spiral wrap I told him If he was not happy I would rewrap this rod for him at no extra charge. I dont mind doing this, but this is not a reason I want him to give up on this design for before he has even had a chance to fish it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bobber stop issue with spiral build
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 01, 2009 05:36PM

If he can feel the bobber stop hit every single guide, then the spiral wrap is not the culprit. He would feel the same thing whether the guides are on the top or bottom of the rod.

Surf fishermen go through the same thing with their leader knots. The only remedy seems to be to use larger guides all along the rod.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2009 06:15PM

Have you checked to see what size his other guides are?
Have you cast the original and yours to compare the two?

"He states the one I built is more sensitive"
Maybe this is why he feels it.

I think I would watch him cast both. To watch if you can see the effects on both rods. If it is due to the increased sensitivity you should be able to point that out, if you can visually tell the affects that he is not feeling.

Posted by: Shane Pierson (174.8.145.---)
Date: September 01, 2009 07:30PM

He is going to bring in both rods to me on thursday. I told him I wanted to get some advice before we made any drastic decisions and he was all for that. What Tom said makes sense to me, but I dont like it lol. I am afraid by going with larger guides we are going to lose some distance on casting which was a huge concern of his when we decided to go this way. But we ma have to compromise somewhere. Im just wondering though, how much pressure can this little bobber stop be putting on the top portion of the rod when it is still casting 30' further than the factory rod? I guess I will find out when I cast it for myself with the bobberstop on it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 01, 2009 09:11PM

It may not be doing anything that is going to cause a problem, but in the mind of the fisherman something is amiss. That's what you'll have to satisfy.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2009 09:39PM

How bout something likethis??

[www.smartstopfishing.com]

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 01, 2009 09:40PM

Shane, I am not familiar with the brand nor type of bobber stop he is using. I use the small nylon string that is factory made into a nail knot and comes on a little split plastic tube. I cut the tag ends off the bobber stop after securing it to the line ( 6 lb mono) and leave about an inch of string on each end of the knot for tightening it. If I don't shorten the tag ends they will hang on the guides as it passes through them.The rod I use has running #6 BLAG''s on a 7' Rainshadow 2 piece Popping Blank. I do not feel the bobber stop when casting if I cut off the tag ends.
For whatever it's worth, I would sure take a look at his bobber stop. Do some test casting with the bobber stop as it came from the factory. Then test cast with the tag ends shortened. When they are left long and get wet they "frazzle out" real bad after a few casts. That's when the tag ends start sticking/grabbing on to the guides as they pass through them.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 02, 2009 12:30PM

if you can, when he brings it in - reverse the top half of the rod to put the guides on top and let him cast it like that.
Perhaps that will be enough to show him that the spiral is not the issue and you won't have to re-wrap the rod.

I'm not familiar with puici bobber stops and couldn't find any information about them on the internets, but I'd say changing the bobber stop will be the easiset solution

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: September 02, 2009 08:52PM

Here's a good tip:

Use the string bobber stops like Jay mentioned, cut the tags very close, and put a tiny dab of Dave's Flexcement all around it with a toothpick. Let it dry for about a minute. It works great for me...and you can slide the stop up and down with no problem. I've not had one come undone after long days throwing float and fly on Dale Hollow.

I carry a small bottle of Dave's in my slip bobber box.

A lot less noisy than the little rubber hotdog type stops, too!

Les

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: September 04, 2009 02:46AM

I have a RainShadow IST1143F acid wrapped and use a string type bobber stop trimmed to about an inch or maybe less on the tag ends to fish for steelhead. Love it! So far I have not noticed the issue you describe as the stop passes through the guides. If the tag ends are left to long that can cause the stop to hang up when casting.

Posted by: john backos (170.28.136.---)
Date: February 09, 2011 12:30PM

After trying a few different types of bobber stops, I settled on a piece of mono, slightly heavier than the running line. Lay it parallel to the running line and twist it around the line three times. Then take the two tag ends and twist them around each other three times. Grab the tag ends and cinch it down. Leave the tag ends about a 1/2" long. I know it doesn't sound right but the longer tag ends apparently help the knot slide through the guides easier. I learned this from some UK float fishing websites.

But I also agree with others that the spiral guide placement is not the culprit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster