I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Formula for gathering guide placement
Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 01, 2009 01:06PM

The 27x formula has worked for me regarding placement of the choking guide. Because of the limited flex in the lower section of most rods, it seems apparent that there should be a formula for the placement of the gathering (largest) guide. The formula would have to be a function of the guide size, height and reel diameter. I wonder if anyone would be willing to work with this and report back. I have an idea but need to test it out further before sharing. Your thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Formula for gathering guide placement
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 01, 2009 01:28PM

Using the 27X choker guide location, the line path between there and the reel should locate the butt guide for you and do so with pretty good results if you stay within the recommended distance range for various rod types.

I didn't develop anything for butt guide placement because it seemed redundant - it's almost automatically located with the NGC 27X method

Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 01, 2009 01:30PM

Great, Tom! That is where I was going, so you confirmed my experiment!

Date: September 01, 2009 01:39PM

If you, or anyone else, wanted to come up with something specifically for the butt guide location, you could simply take stock of all the measurements of your current butt guide locations that you know to work well and figure some sort of average.

Depending on the height and ring size of the guide, the optimum location from the reel will vary. This is what makes such a formula a bit hard to arrive at. But it could certainly be done.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.213.138.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 01, 2009 05:58PM

Scott,
You have a straight ratio.
change of height per change of distance
the difference between the reel height and choker height per distance from reel to choker.
Straight line slope distance.

Gene

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: September 01, 2009 06:02PM

Yes, relatively simple.

Problem comes when you want smaller ring size,but need taller guides so you are forced to accomodate one of the three below:

1. larger guides than you want.
2. wrong height guides.
3. guide further from the reel than desired. (i.e. more than 22 inches....)

Mo

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 01, 2009 08:06PM

The M guides will not fit your needs ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 01, 2009 11:45PM

Bill.

Nope. I'm thinking of making my own. Problem is time as always....:)

Actually the M is only very lightly ttaller than the Fuji TATSG that I favor. I want something much taller - at least 50% taller.

Mo

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: September 02, 2009 12:32AM

Mo,
What do you use for ring sizes? 1/2 diameter of the spool? I've been going smaller and using M's. I don't have much experience with spinning set ups, but since my kids (5 & 7) have been fishing soooo much with me lately I've been building them a few each. Problem is, I don't have anything to compare my NGC/micro builds against. It is kind of anti-climatic starting out with such good guidance

Date: September 02, 2009 02:17AM

Steven,

Well, Tom Kirkman really has done an absolutely INCREDIBLE service to the rodbuilding community. (Along with all the contributors he has been able to recruit.) I don't actually know of anyone who have done the same in another industry and I have many a hobby indeed, most of which are currently dormant due to time. So yes, it really allows one to start off at the right foot.

Anyway, I digress. I've been using 1/2 diameter but feel quite strongly that I don't need that large a guide for the kind of lines we use.

Mo

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: September 02, 2009 02:56AM

Your not kidding!!!!!!!!!!! I actually kind of look forward to comin to work so I can get on this site and see whats up. I actually cant say I look fwd to coming to work......I wish I had a comp at home......... You should have seen what I was producing before I found this place. I would hide behind the "I just want it functional" excuse!!!!!!!!!! and it was hardly even that; just BARELY functional...........

Date: September 02, 2009 08:23AM

Mo,

Using a butt guide with a ring that is at least 1/2 the diameter of the reel spool was a very general rule of thumb which I put in the book I wrote for Amato Publications. It was meant to be something that would provide good results for the greatest variety of reels and lines expected to be encountered by a wide range of fishermen. But it is not ironclad and was never intended to be absolutely correct for each specific line type. It works with about all of them, but isn't necessarily optimum for any specific one. Remember that the smaller diameter and more supple the line, the smaller the ring you can get by with. Conversely, with larger diameter and more stiff line, a larger ring is usually required. Braid almost never requires a very large ring.

Posted by: Edwin Kime (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 02, 2009 08:41AM

I use lighter lines and find that I do not need the larger butt guide on the ultralite rods I like. I Find the larger guides are in the way most of the time for me. Some times their is no one answer for all rods only a guide to start with. I think you need to use your experiance and judgement in matters like this as what work great for me may not be what somebody else wants or may not work for him.

Edwin Kime

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 02, 2009 10:23AM

Steven: check out Dell.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 02, 2009 02:35PM

Tom, yes, I understood that but thought I'd note it here for others. The more flexible the line, the smaller the butt guide can be, still taking into account of course the size of the spool.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster