I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

florida offshore trolling blank
Posted by: byron gray (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 31, 2009 11:32PM

Hello, I would like to build a rod for a guy from Florida I purchased a boat from. This fellah went over and above what most folk would have done during this type of transaction. And I now consider him a friend. and i would like to send him a token of my apprecation. does anyone have experiance with trolling that are popular (length,speed,line rating & lure weight) for trolling on the n.west coast of fla for tuna,whaoo,marlin or mahi-mahi? what do you use or recommend ? would they be any diffrent than west coast?
Thanks, Byron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: florida offshore trolling blank
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 01, 2009 12:09AM

Nowthat you build rods be carefulhow many friends you have. Everyone wnats to trade a day of fishign for a high end custom rod. I'm not saying the guy doesnt' deserve it, just be careful.

I have no idea about trolling in Florida, sorry. I do have an idea about everyone wanting to be a friend to not pay $$$ for a rod.

Posted by: byron gray (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2009 01:09AM

first thanks billy for taking the time to reply. i have alot of respect for your talent and always enjoy your work.
i know what your saying to be true.but this guy does not even know i build rods or that i'm thinking of building this rod. or i would simply ask him what type of rod he wanted.thanks for those words of wisdom. keep on do'in what you do'in

Posted by: Dave Barrett (138.239.74.---)
Date: September 01, 2009 08:04AM

Questions that need answering if you are to get useful help:
- does he fish stand up or from a chair
- what species does he like to target (BIG difference between tuna/marlin and mahi)
- live bait or lures
- what class of tackle does he like? light, average or unlimited

If you really want to build him a rod he will enjoy and use, then you have to find out how, and for what, he likes to fish. Once you know that the rest is 'easy'. But without that information you're shooting in the dark.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: September 01, 2009 11:17AM

The other part of the question might be, "How much are you willing to spend"? An 80 or 130# class trolling rod with roller guides and curved unibutt isn't going to be cheap!

If he really fishes for what you say in NW Florida then he has a big boat and is running hundreds of miles offshore. I'd imagine he has everything he needs. Maybe what he doesn't have is something closer to an "ultralight" trolling setup. While some fish 4# for marlin I'm not that much of a sport. However a nice 12# class rod would be a blast on dolphin and wahoo.

Russ

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 01, 2009 03:57PM

I fish East Central Florida...I live 3 miles from the Kennedy Space Center and fish mostly out of either Port Canaveral or Sebastian Inlet. I have built a few "general purpose" rods (if there is such a thing) that cover both bottom fishing for snapper and grouper as well as trolling for mahi, wahoo and kingfish.
I use an E-glass blank (I actually prefer E-glass to graphite for this type of application) with an extended foregrip, either Pac Bay turbo or boat guides, and an aluminum gimbal that is covered with a slip on butt cap when I am bottom fishing.
Mudhole has a very nice series of E-glass boat rod blanks that offer great versatility. They start in the 8-15 lb range and go all the way up to 50-80 lb range. On my last trip out of Sebastian, my wife landed a 265 lb shark on the SPSWB7M...a 15-25 lb rated, light action blank. (She was fishing for sea bass and trigger fish...this came as a HUGE surprise), And btw, I bought this blank in hot pink...it's her "Pink Snapper" rod. Price: $15.95 in black. I just completed rods on the SPSWB7H and the SPSWB7XH...20-40lb and 25 to 50 lb respectively. The most expensive blank in this series is $19.95. Of course, once you add guides, reel seat, gimbal, etc, the money increases, but you can still make a very nice custom built, hand crafted rod for someone for $75 of thereabouts.
Frankly, I think most fishermen would be very pleased with almost ANY rod made just for them. And the real value is not so much in what blank you use, but the craftsmanship, and the friendship accompanying the gift.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2009 04:22PM

without breaking your wallet and giving him a VERY nice rod...

trolling the west coast of florida can also include grouper as well.

American Tackle AXGC70MH 7' 20-50#
Fuji DPSH (will be a size 24 that fits if I remember right)
Grip lengths will highly depend on his arm length and comfort (hint take a look at his other rods for similar purposes), starting point 8-10" rear, 10-12" fore
Fuji BMNAGs w/ MBNAT top
Definitely with a gimbal, smaller fish wont require a belt, but generally guys who fish personal boats (and I am assuming he does mostly as you just bought one from him) will at least have a belt on board for when its needed. Use a nylon/graphite gimbal unless there will always be use of a belt....I know that one from experience

Overall a very light setup that will handle just about anything you can throw at it. Keep in mind that the swords and tuna both are still limited to depth on your coast where as they go as deep as they like on my side.

I also fish East Central Florida for the exact same stuff listed above. I guess I've just gotten spoiled with the light weight of the composites now. :)

This setup will run you quite a bit more than the one listed above, however. Really depends on what you want to spend. Guestimate without pricing it out would run you about double that $75 one listed above.

Date: September 01, 2009 08:08PM

You know Sean, I wish you hadn't mentioned that blank. I need to go to Mudhole on Thursday. I suspect I may be leaving with one of those...

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fll.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 01, 2009 08:25PM

Don't feel bad Gary. I had just about decided on a blank (RCLB70ML) and someone suggested the American Tackle. Now, within the last hour, two different guys have raved about that AT blank. I don't suppose anyone has fished both?

Dang, here I go getting my mind changed again.....too many decisions for a first time builder:) Heck I can't even figure out what guides to get!

Russ

Date: September 01, 2009 09:42PM

Check your email Russ.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2009 11:25PM

Russ, you cant go wrong with either of them. I THINK the batson may be a slight bit lighter in weight, but overall they compare to each other very well.

Gary I may see you up there Thursday if you head up late morning, as I'll be picking up a pair in the 30-60# class as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster