I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anyone here use PG threadless with Micro Guides?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: August 30, 2009 03:49PM

I have to admit that I really like the threadless look and one can't get any clearer than threadless PG.

Question: Has anyone here used micros with the threadless application? Do you have any sense of what the strength is - i.e. how many lbs before the guides pull out?

I did an experiment recently which failed because they were weak but I realized that I contaminated my PG with some Trondak brush cleaner so that there's almost no strength at all on the PG. My fault of course.

Still thought I'd ask if anyone her successfully used PG for threadless with micros.

Thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone here use PG threadless with Micro Guides?
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: August 30, 2009 06:16PM

I recently removed two guides that were were thread wrapped but finished with PG rather than epoxy. They were more difficult to remove than the standard epoxy finished guides. With this experience I would believe that PG will hold theadless micro guides as well as it holds standard threadless guides.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 30, 2009 08:43PM

WHat difference does it make what guides you use?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2009 09:29PM

Bill Stevens and I talked about him doing this a while back. But I don't actually know if he went through with it. If he doesn't post on this thread you might consider shooting him an email.

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 30, 2009 09:49PM

Billy-I think the concern is with the extremely small foot on the smallest micros as to whether there would be sufficient surface area to maintain adhesion.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2009 10:58PM

I haven't experimented with threadless wraps (yet), but routinely use silk thread (sans cp) to wrap micros now. Must be ballpark to what PG provides, this also results in a transparent, or threadless effect.

Date: August 31, 2009 12:25AM

Thanks everyone. I won't bug Bill Stevens for a while in case he will respond here. (He's been more than kind, as have been many of you on this board, with his time and I always want to not presume on the time of so many helpful people here. Seriously meant - i feel an incredible sense of gratitude to so many here.)

Anyways, yes the concern is that the foot is so small. With thread, there's 'overkill' in terms of strength needed but I'm not sure about Micros so thought I'd ask. I figure eventually someone here will have an answer.

As to silk and PG, it is more of a semiclear rather than pure clear look. At least when I do it. Someone else confirmed that on a different thread.

Mo

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 31, 2009 08:51AM

I did not do one for the reasoning that none of the micro guides had a definable tunnel under the bottom and they were too small to use a Dremel to hand etch a tunnel - I used that tunnel backfill area to built a Perma Gloss anchor - since receiving the new Amtaks that do have a tunnel as well as a spade on the end of the foot I will probably try one using the titanium Amtak 3.0. I have been unable to weigh the silk thread and think it is advisable to use silk on rods that will take a beating. That particular guide has a longer foot as well - take a look at this photo link :

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: August 31, 2009 11:13PM

Thanks Bill. The comment about the tunnel is helpful to know. I have an Amtak 3.0 sample and need to look at it again. I have a preference normally for Fuji Titaniums.

Would love to hear when you actually do a micro.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster