I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broken Rod While Spining?
Posted by: Dan Colville (209.37.134.---)
Date: August 28, 2009 12:20PM

Hey Guys-

Ever break a rod while finding the spine? I spined 6 blanks last night and one of them broke. I have been building for 5 years and never have had this happen. Just wondering about any of your similiar experiences.

Thanks,
Dan Colville

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken Rod While Spining?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 28, 2009 12:23PM

It can certainly happen. I have no idea what method you use for determining spine. I've seen some methods that were very hard on rod blanks. In other cases a guy just gets a bad blank, or a blank that was damaged in shipping and it pops the first time it's flexed.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 28, 2009 02:53PM

I went years before breaking a rod by spining. Then I broke a few of them within a 2 month period. Problem was me, I used to grab teh tip with one hand, and the middle of teh blank with teh other, and put the rod into a 90 degree bend by pulling the tip. Problem was with heavier graphite rods it took a lot of pressure to flex the rod like this, and with my hand beingin the middle of teh blank, it caused the evil "high sticking" scenario which is responsible for so many rods breaking.

I wan tto make it clear I'm not blaming you for doing this, I'm jus relaying my past experiance.

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 28, 2009 04:46PM

Dan

When rod companies are pushing product out as fast as they can an occasional bad one gets through. I have been outwrapping for about twenty years and have done thousands of rods per year. Over the years I have had blanks break while wrapping guides on and even while taping guides on, it just happens. I've had maybe twenty five rods break out of over a hundred thousand . It is more common to find flaws in finish or in the blank itself than breaking one.

Thomas F. Thornhill

Posted by: Owen Dare (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: August 28, 2009 05:38PM

You should make a habit of giving every blank a really good workout flex before starting on it whether you spine them or not.
There's a hundred opportunities for a blank to be damaged before you get it and only one opportunity for you to check.
Imagine how heart broken you'd be if it had happened the first time the customer used it AFTER you spent 50 hours building the rod of his/her dreams.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 29, 2009 05:41PM

This is why I always do a bit of test casting before I wrap and finish a blank. I even do it when I know a blank very well, or when the rod will not be cast (like a trolling rod) -- tape on a plate reel seat and fling a few casts, just to make sure the blank is not defective. Getting a dud is rare, but it can happen.

I could be wrong, but my guess is that you had a defect. I say this because A) you only broke one rod, not all six; B) I'm assuming that you did the same thing to each of these blanks; and C) that the rod broke as soon as you did something with it -- in my experience, defective blanks break as soon as you put any kind of stress on them. If the problem was you, I would think you'd have broken more than one of them.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2009 05:21PM

I agree 100% with owen.
Even though you might think you are abusing the blank, be sure to give a new blank at least as deep a flex as it would ever encounter in routine fishing. Then, it makes sense to bend it about 20% further, just to give you a good feeling of assurance with the quality of the blank.

It is much better to find that you have a defective blank, immediately upon recipt of the rod "before" you either store it away, or start to build on the blank.

If the rod breaks during this test flex, it was defective, and all that you are out is the hassle of returning the blank for replacement.
Better to find it before you have hours in a build or right after a customer starts fishing with it.

You seldom find a defective blank, but if you do - better now than later.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 30, 2009 08:15PM

Something came to mind and that regards one method of spine finding that involves holding the rod by the tip and laying the blank across the edge of a table while allowing the weight of the blank to create the flex. While this won't hurt most blanks, it's suicide on others. If you're doing it this way I advise that you change your method.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster