I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Quick Q: More Taper - MT1 versus MT2
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: August 27, 2009 11:57PM

I had to replace the bearings and MT1 on my lathe.

It was a very very snug fit and I doubt I'll ever be able to pull it out again....

Here's the problem. My spindle has a different taper than the original MT1. Since I don't have a MT2, I wonder if they sent me the wrong taper.

Here's what I'm experiencing. With my chuck in, it rocks a bit. This means the taper I received is not as sharply angled as the MT1 that is normally on my lathe. Is a MT2 taper indeed more 'relaxed' so that my MT1 in it will rock a bit. Not much but clearly rocking.

Thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quick Q: More Taper - MT1 versus MT2
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 28, 2009 12:11AM

It's an entirely different size. An MT1 attachment in an MT2 taper would fit like a clapper in a bell. It wouldn't "rock a bit" it would just fall out.

Date: August 28, 2009 12:18AM

Follow-up. Found the answer on the web. Doesn't look like I have MT2 as the opening is too small for MT2. Hmm.......no idea what I have.

Thanks for reading through and if anyone has any idea, love to hear it.

Mo

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 28, 2009 12:22AM

One thing to try - wad up a rag or towel and run it up inside the female part and clean it. If there is any residue, dirt, grime, etc., inside the taper, it will cause an inperfect fit of the matching part. This could easily be your problem.

Date: August 28, 2009 01:50AM

Thanks Tom. I posted my 2nd one while you were posting. Just read it.

THANKS!

Mo

Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range86-150.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 28, 2009 02:56AM

Mo

Another thing to check is the tang(flat on the end). Ive seen some cheaper ones come a little bit longer. In this case the back of the tang hits before the tapers will mate perfectly. Sometimes a light file job will fix it.
Similar to Toms solution--- Did you take the protective film off of the OD and ID of the taper before fitting. They both must be extra clean. If you any little burrs remove them with a file.

Posted by: Bill Napier (---.houston-04rh15-16rt.tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: August 28, 2009 12:11PM

There is NOTHING between an MT1 and an MT2. So you either have some crud or something in there or you received a taper that was incorrectly machined.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: August 28, 2009 12:16PM

I had this happen and was very frustrated.
It turns out the taper was correct but tang end of chuck was too long. I cut off about an inch (as I recall) and the problem was solved.

Date: August 28, 2009 12:32PM

Thanks everyone for your help. My chuck and the original spindle fit perfectly and very tightly. This spindle is simply machined incorrectly. I've cleaned and filed to no avail. Going back....

Thanks again. Great forum as always.
Mo

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2009 05:28PM

Mo,
Here is a pretty good description of common machine room tapers.
The typical mt1 and mt2 are what is commonly referred to as a morse taper.

Another common taper that is routinely found on drill pressess is a jacobs taper. The tapers can be close, but are not the same.

I wonder, if you had a piece that was shipped to you with a jacobs taper on the end, rather than a morse taper?

[en.wikipedia.org]

I have often see adpters sold on the market that are in fact Jacob tapers, and are NOt morse tapers.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2009 10:56PM

I sometimes fool with a old Craftsman mini lathe. Some of the reference sources for these lathes state that there are were approximately 3 differernt tapers used as a Morse #1 taper. It is not at all unusual to get a accessories that is supposed to be a Morse #1 that does not fit a Morse #1 arbor. And yes, the taper can be longer than the hole for it. I finally bought a #1 taper reamer and a new spindle and tailstock spindle.

The lathe will not work long if the taper is wrong and the chuck "rocks" as you suggest. Do a search and find Homecraft tools (William Hardin) and look at what he has avaliable for the little lathes and #1 taper stuff.

Date: August 31, 2009 12:22AM

Thanks everyone. Very helpful. Currently I'm temporarily getting around the problem by using masking tape to shim the chuck as needed while I wait for a replacement part.

Thanks,
Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster