I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

does thread have a shelf life ?
Posted by: mark goldstein (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 26, 2009 09:55PM

was just wondering does thread have a shelf life .i have some older spools of thread both ncp and nylon that seem to squeek in the thread cart when i was using the pac bay lathe i thought it was the cart and now im using the clemmins 8 spool cart it is dooing the same thing .the thread gets fuzzies and comes out kinda flat and there is dust on the guid ring on it . if i back off what i normaly use as tension it isnt as bad but it still isnt normal. any thoughts ? thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: does thread have a shelf life ?
Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: August 26, 2009 11:00PM

I have a few partial spools of Gudebrod nylon in seldom-used colors that were produced when the thread was wound on wooden spools. Gudebrod changed to plastic or foam spool probably 20 years ago (give or take a year or two) but the thread is still good. My taste in color must not have changed much over time because I still don't like them so I use them occasionally under a marbled finish. I wonder if how and where the thread was stored may have some bearing on how it's performing? If it was just one spool that's getting fuzzies then I would be temped to blame a bad spool of thread but you seem to be describing the same occurrance with several spools. Mine has been pretty much at room temperatures and out of exposure to strong UV light. The shelf life of nylon thread may be impacted somewhat by what type of environment they're stored in but from my experinece it will retain something very close to its' original properties for quite a while.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: August 26, 2009 11:17PM

would like to know this too .. i have some 100yd spools of gudebrod from 10-13 years back .. the threads have been kept in a rubbermaid/plano box since i bought them, and out of sunlight.. it's still with me, though i have switched to using the 950yds spool

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 26, 2009 11:59PM

I also suspect that a great deal of the "shelf life" has to do with storage conditions. I too have a bunch of the Gudebrod 1,200 yd. wooden spools. About 30 of them are still sealed in plastic bags. I opened one this morning (royal blue) and it went on the rod just fine. No fuzzies, no squeaks. None of the thread is NCP however. I don't know if that would make a difference or not.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 27, 2009 01:01AM

THis isn't your problem, but I have a lot of thread on wooden spools, and the thread always feeds off of them herky jerky. It seems the washers "stick" to the spool. One thing that has helped is touse 2 washers on each side of teh spool so they can rotate smoothly, even if one washer is sticking to teh spool.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2009 08:12AM

If you keep your thread dry and out of the sunlight, it will last for many, many years.

Even those spools that have been UV damaged, or that might even have a bit of mildew on top, can often be returned to usable condition just by stripping off the top couple layers of thread.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: August 27, 2009 02:08PM

Mark,
1. If the nylon thread is stored out of sunlight, the thread life should be nearly indefinite.
2. If your spool squeeks on the lathe, and if you are using a tensioner that relies on spring tension on the ends of the spool, you can elinimate the squeek, by using multiple nylon washers on the end of the spool. Otherwise, with a tension spring on the thread itself, you should have no issues.
3. Fuzzies can be found on both old thread as well as bad spools of new thread. If you do get fuzzies, when the thread is under tension - pitch the thread and don't look back. Bad thread can be on new spools or old spools. Anytime that a person uses a spool of thread that they haven't used before or for a long time, be sure to examine the line under a magnifying glass under considerable tension. If you see little fuzzies coming off the sides of the thread, you can be sure that it will only be worse, when wrapped and coated. Take the thread and throw it in the garbage.
Every now and then, a bad spool comes through. Not often, but if you find one, get it into the garbage and out of your rod shop before it gets wrapped on a rod and ruins a nice wrap.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster