I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

butt guide size? & 27x?
Posted by: Brian Rattenbury (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 26, 2009 07:41AM

Just a quick question regarding butt guide sizes on spin rods. How do i select the right size? I have read that you measure the reel diameter and halve it to get the size you need. Is this correct? Also when using the 27x method to find the choker guide placement does it need to be exactly on the spot or can it be a little either side? Just asking because if i use a reel with a spool diameter of 39mm the choker guide will be at 1053mm and then if i use a reel with a spool diam. of 45mm the choker guide will be at 1215mm. Can i just take an average of the two to get a compromise position for the guide to suit both reels? Thank in advance Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: butt guide size? & 27x?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 26, 2009 08:22AM

Line is flexible so moving something in inch or so fore or aft makes little difference. You can use an average if you want, just be sure and cast it with both reels to make sure you're satisfied with how it works.

The larger and stiffer the line the larger the butt guide ring you need. The smaller and more supple the line, the smaller the butt guide ring you can get by with. A ring that is at least 1/2 the spool diameter, provided it has sufficient height, is a good place to start. Rarely does it need to be much larger than that unless you're using very large diameter, stiff, line.

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 26, 2009 08:29AM

You've got to start somewhere, Brian. Strap'em on temporarily and do some test casting-that is what will reveal to you where they should be for your particular application. You could use that averaging method and get an average level of performance. No substitute for testing with the two different reels, line sizes/types etc.

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: August 26, 2009 09:24PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]
Above is the static rod guide placement that is listed in the library. I use this, combined with the 27x. I figure the 27x measurement, mark the blank. Then use the static placement, work back to the mark where the choker should be. Sometimes I may need to move it an inch or so. Usually not a lot more than that. Then continue on with the transition guide/guides, then the butt guide ring.
I use braid a lot on my reels, so a smaller butt guide works well.The line has little memory, does not loop much at all.
I build on similar blanks a lot. I have about 3 different guide placements that seem to work with a certain blank. Say a 7ft med, mod is 1 placement, a fast another. Heavy action is still another. A different set will be on a 6'6". If you use the static placement logic, as your rod blank flexes, your line should mimic that curve with correct guide placement. That is what you try to achieve with every build. Write down the placement, you have a starting place, like a story pole, for the next build. Several of the suppliers have the recommended placements for their blanks. they can help also. I like to have the reel show me where to locate the butt guide and transition guide/guides. I always try to use a smaller butt guide. JMO
I do not know anything about saltwater setups. do not know if they use different guide placement ideas or not. I just catch whimpy fresh water fish!

Kyle Robinson

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2009 09:49PM by Kyle Robinson.

Posted by: Brian Rattenbury (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 27, 2009 06:35AM

thanks for the replies,

Tom, I only use between 4 & 10lb Nitlon braid so 1/2 the diam. will be fine

Chris, i do just that, wasn't sure if it needed to be spot on.

Kyle, most of the other rods i've built have been done using the static method and they work fine.
Have just been reading so much about the 27x method i thuoght that i would try it.

Again thanks all.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: August 27, 2009 02:20PM

Brian,
The general rule of thumb that I use for setting up the guides on a spinning reel, is that for rod that are going to be using relatively heavy line and heavy lures, I will size the first guide at a place on the rod, such that when retreiving the line, with the intended reel, I insure myself that the line makes a low angle contact with the guide, around its full circumfurance as the line is retreived. If the line contacts the guide around its
FULL circumfurance, then it is large enough to allow free passage of the line during casts. It is also large enough to minimize line reeling effort during heavy retreives.

Note, that when the first guide is too small, you will find that the line does not make a full circle on the guide during retreive. Rather, you will find that the line tends to remain in only a portion of the guide as the spool makes its full revolutions during line retreival.

Good luck
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster