I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rotisserie Motor for Drier
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: August 24, 2009 12:30AM

I just came on to a rotisserie motor off a BBQ grill. It turns 6 rpm. Will make a tough drier motor if I can figure out how to attach a chuck. It has a square hole for the shaft. Has anyone made a drier using one of these , and how did you couple a chuck to it ? I have a PVC chuck with the nylon screws and the coupler if I can figure out how to hitch them together.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rotisserie Motor for Drier
Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 24, 2009 01:02AM

Sounds like my very first rod drier. Here's what I did:

I used a hole saw and cut a 1 1/2" diameter piece of 3/4" thick hardwood. I'm sure pine would work well too.
Then I drilled a hole in the center of that round "puck" that went about 2/3 of the way through. The hole was just a tiny bit smaller than shaft size of the motor. With a minimum amount of filing I was able to achieve a tight fit of the shaft into the wood.
Then I simply epoxied the PVC chuck to the un-drilled side of the wood, and then epoxied the motor shaft into the hole on the other side of the assembly.
Maybe not elegant, but it turned and dried over 300 rods before I got a "better" one.

Date: August 24, 2009 01:22AM

Thanks Gary; I understand very well how you did that, good description. This thing has a square female socket in it , no shaft sticking out.
Somehow I must use a piece of key stock for a shaft.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2009 05:01AM

I managed by using a socket from a tool set of the appropriate size,epoxied into a PVC cap as well as the shaft. Square key stock will work just as well. If not better. :o)
Chuck

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2009 06:12AM

I just trimmed down a larger (1/2") Dowel to fit clean and Epoxy

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2009 06:12AM

I just trimmed down a larger (1/2") Dowel to fit clean and Epoxy

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: August 24, 2009 09:05AM

I have been using one of these for 25 yrs. I didn't have a chuck so I made one from the PVC cap from a 2 inch water pipe. I have a 3 inch square piece of steel stock that mates to my motor, I simply bored out the cap to fit it and epoxyed it in place. I lined it with water pipe insulating foam and added 4 screws around the outside. I use rubber band on the heads of the screws to hold a rod handle in place. I have 2 newer driers but I stil occasionally use this old standby.

Posted by: woody osborne (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 24, 2009 09:16AM

have you ever heard of rube goldberg? this is how i did it with his help.i took a small plastic water bottle. i cut a hole in the bottom, split the top with four cuts about an inch long. used a piece of keystock about 2" long putting it into one end of an 1/4"extension. put a socket on the other end that matched the head of the bolt i attached to the hole of the plastic bottle with washers and nuts of both side of the bottle bottom. find a small hose clamp and tighten it up as needed to secure your rod into the slit end of the bottle. it did work fine. care need to be taken to ensure rod is close enough to level so that it will not work loose. i believe i had the blank slightly elevated from the motor. using water bottles, you can accommodate most sizes of handles and butt caps. hope this helps.

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (96.18.199.---)
Date: August 24, 2009 09:19AM

I have been using the same for more years than I can remember I just got a peice of square stock that fit the motor. I cut threads on one end and bolted a 2 in pvc cap to it and threaded three thumb screws thru the cap for a chuck and it has been working well.

Posted by: Brian Morrow (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 24, 2009 02:16PM

I found a great deal on a 5rpm electric motor that is used for a Disco balls.
Here is a link to the motor [Chauvet Mirror Ball Motor].
They work great for $10!

Tight wraps!

PS.. it's prewired for a 110 outlet.

Posted by: Terry Marx (65.160.28.---)
Date: August 25, 2009 10:13PM

I have a couple I built on disco ball motors for marblizing (1 & 3 rpm), output shaft even sliped into coupling for a spare Pac Bay chuck. As the previous poster suggested, thet are cheap. Try Amazon.com if you're stuck for a supplier.

Posted by: Matt Ekhaml (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: August 27, 2009 04:24PM

I used a 1 1/4" PVC cap threaded onto a 1 1/2" PVC reducer. I drilled a hole in the cap and glued in a 5/16" dowel. Tapped holes in the reducer for set screws. The 5/16" dowel fits snugly in the square hole of the rotisserie motor with no need for glue. Might need to be shimmed eventually, but it's held up for a dozen rods so far.

Date: August 27, 2009 08:35PM

Thanks Guys. I thought if I could get this thing rigged properly I could dry 3 or 4 rods at a time If I wanted, It's powerful enough.
I will filter through all these ideas and see what I can come up with.
And I may have found a piece of square stock that will fit the motor.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster