I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

LIne loops at tip....install another guide?
Posted by: Jim Williams (173.87.36.---)
Date: August 23, 2009 03:43PM

I occasionally am dealing with my fly rod and fishing and notice that the line, when idle is not going straight from the last line guide out the tip and hanging down. It is strung through the guides properly...but comes out of the last guide and arches up over the rod, but comes back down and goes out the tip like it should. Sometimes when I am fighting tangles it makes me wonder if it is tangled there and it is not. I don't think I have noticed this on every rod I try. So on those that do....do that.......wWould it be ok to just add another line guide about an inch before the tip top.....to keep the line UNDER the rod? Or would that stress the rod wrong? Or is is just an ok situation and just forget about it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LIne loops at tip....install another guide?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 23, 2009 04:11PM

It is hard to visualize what you describe, but I'll take a stab at the problem.The most likely cause of this is holding the rod vertical while working on your tangles and the weight of the line drops it down. Often this will also pull the leader back into the guides.

Another guide will only add weight and probably effect the tip flex. Better to find the cause than a patch work solution.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 23, 2009 04:59PM

I think I know what's happening and adding another guide isn't going to fix anything. If you could duplicate the problem and take a photo I could be sure.

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 23, 2009 05:09PM

Jim-it sounds like the line's stiffness is resisting the direction change that occurs as it leaves the tip of the rod-taking a curved path because it is not limp enough to turn sharply.

Date: August 23, 2009 05:37PM

It is wrapped around the blank or just bowed up at that point? The former indicates a common problem that can occur when line loops the butt (yes, the butt) on the cast and the latter is simply the nature of the beast. The line drops as it leaves the tiptop and because it's not as limp as mono or braid you have a bit of a bow formed just behind the tiptop.

Date: August 23, 2009 06:23PM

Chris and Tom,
You both have it right. The line seems to be so stiff at that point that it bows. And Tom that is the latter case in your statement. It is just the nature of the beast so to speak. Just the rub of the green I take it.

Thanks

If I get a chance I will take a pic....but I think you guys have a pretty good picture of it in your mind already....by the way you have described it.

Yep, it is that bowed up look I am talking about.

Date: August 23, 2009 08:36PM

Putting another guide on there may reduce the bow, but it won't help anything from a performance standpoint. I wouldn't do it.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 23, 2009 10:18PM

Happens to me all the time - Chris is correct. Once line is tensioned it goes away.
Herb

Date: August 24, 2009 02:02AM

Thanks everyone. End of curiosity.
Question answered very adequately.

Thanks again.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster