I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St. Croix stop teasing me
Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (208.74.247.---)
Date: August 22, 2009 12:34PM

I think that St. Croix is the most fantastic rod company on the planet, nestled in the heart of northern Wisc. Great rods, good beer and good cheese. If you ever get to Park Falls stop in and watch the ladies putting on Flex Coat through the big picture window. I wish I would have put a stop watch on them, they don't mess around and if you get lucky one might wave at you. Now comes the rub they tease ultra-light spin fisherman. Back somewhere in time the top of their ultra-light line was SC4 or S something 4, they were beautiful jet black blanks and I built a couple of rods which I loved using them. But being a hobby builder, if you want to build more rods you have to find a kid that is fishing with some crap and give some of your rods away. Well guess what. Now the top of the line is SC3 and don't get me wrong the SC3 line is great. Then along comes SC5 and St. Croix builds the best ulta-light blank in the universe the 5S59ULF. I finally figure out that I'm not going to live forever let the moths out of my wallet and buy one. Wow what a great rod. Then they quit making the blank and like a moron I didn't buy a bunch of them. I just finished a rod using a St. Croix 3S60ULF cut down to 5.5 feet using x27 and BLAG 4 running guides and I am sold. Thanks to the M&M's and Tom. Now I'm fighting the urge to strip my SC5 and rewrap using the micros. I might need to go in for treatment, or maybe just go fishing have some Wisconsin beer and batter fried cheese curds.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St. Croix stop teasing me
Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: August 22, 2009 05:48PM

Jim, I have re-done my favorite SC111 four times and my SCV is currently down to bare rod as we speak. No Canada trip for me this year so I will re-do it for next year with micros and a lighter Tenn handle. Time and coordination is all I need this late fall.

Posted by: Billy Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 22, 2009 05:58PM

Can't you just cut 9 inches off the butt of a St. Croix 5S66LF-G and pretty much get a 5S59ULF? I have a 5S66LF-G and it would make a great UL rod with 9 inches off the butt. Call St. Croix and see what they say about that.

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (208.74.247.---)
Date: August 22, 2009 06:16PM

Billy

I think that is a great idea! Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster