I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Worst Color combination
Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: August 22, 2009 11:48AM

yellow, brown and red or yellow brown and purple

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Charles Horan (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 22, 2009 11:51AM

I have three suggestions:

1. Bright neon green in nylon, olive green ncp, and rust ncp! Oh yeah!!

2. olive, metallic gold, and pink

3. almond, gold and yellow

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 22, 2009 12:52PM

I'd like to help you out Billy but, the only color I have is black.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 22, 2009 12:54PM

Billy, WHITE, GRAY,& TAN . Blaaa.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 22, 2009 01:16PM

Billy,Back in the 60's my first choice for a car was RUST, Gray primer, and PINK slip.

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: August 22, 2009 01:39PM

Tan, Neon green, and Creamsicle orange. Matter of fact I may try that combination next time someone tells me color doesn't matter......lol

Posted by: dave schaub (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: August 22, 2009 01:50PM

Billy, Remember the rods I made with the colors that were so loud, you had to have sunglasses? Well, this is the
same premise that I used. A buddy we wanted to mess with said he didnt care what Scott and I came up with. So I
pulled the loudest colors I could find. But you know what....it actually worked and worked well. I sold several of those
and I just made a new one for me!! Done, right, darn near any combo is good (maybe not great) but good. Awful is
hard to find.
My list of three is turqoise, olive drab and neon orange. I looked at these just now and they are approaching awful!!

Dave

Posted by: dave schaub (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: August 22, 2009 01:54PM

Billy, Remember the rods I made with the colors that were so loud, you had to have sunglasses? Well, this is the
same premise that I used. A buddy we wanted to mess with said he didnt care what Scott and I came up with. So I
pulled the loudest colors I could find. We thought it would be terrible. But you know what....it actually worked and worked well. I sold several of those and I just made a new one for me!! Done, right, darn near any combo is good (maybe not great) but good. Awful is
hard to find.

My list of three is turqoise, olive drab and neon orange. I looked at these just now and they are approaching awful!!

Dave

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 22, 2009 03:43PM

Billy, it is your exquisite creative wraps that make any color combination look good! I do agree that the Green Orange and Blue the way you put them together really remind one of a Hawaiian shirt motif.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.32.90.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 22, 2009 05:31PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Auburn colors are ugly, I agree. Gotta love
> college football being right around the corner.

That was supposed to be Univ. of Florida but Auburn is just about as bad.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 22, 2009 06:40PM

I wonder how many people are reading this thread saying "HEY!!! I just used that color combo and I think it looks great!" That is why we need women in our lives, to warn us before we walk out of the house that we look like circus clowns.

Turqouise green & orange.

I was waiting for someone to tell me to use my favorite color when somoene needs a recommendation - Peach. lol. Peach, olive, and banana yellow. Not only is that a sucky combo, it sounds like a Fear Factor Smoothie.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 22, 2009 07:12PM

How about maroon, bright orange, and green...

jeremy

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: August 22, 2009 07:29PM

Tan, pink and grey. Do something with that.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 22, 2009 07:56PM

Mr. Vivona,

Something tells me that no matter what colors you choose, your wrap will still come out looking great.

jeremy

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.safepages.com)
Date: August 22, 2009 09:51PM

Black, white, and chartreuse should set some teeth on edge. The rod would probably catch as many fish as any other, maybe more, for the owner of such a hideously colored rod would probably fish a lot of underfished waters, where there would be no others to compete or make comments.

Posted by: john channer (---.228.186.119.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: August 23, 2009 10:24PM

The worst colors that thread was ever dyed is undoubtedly what is known to bamboo rodmakers as "clown wrap", it's all the primary colors and a few extra's all on the same spool, the color changes every few inches and it was the hallmark of the cheep rod in days gone by, no good rod was ever wrapped with the stuff. Second worst to me are the jaspers(two colors twisted together). While not exactly the sign of a low grade rod, I just don't like the looks, red/white is about the worst if color preserved. Another one that never did it for me was Granger Green, a sort of gold olive that just looks loud on a dark flamed bamboo rod.
john

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 24, 2009 08:37AM

BLack white & chartruese or NEon Green is a hot combo. I might put that on one of my rods now, lol.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 24, 2009 10:24AM

Dang, and I thought saying, "use whatever colors you want" was kinda like saying "I trust you and give you complete artistic license". I guess I just learned better:) Guess I better send a CAD drawing and artistic rendering huh?

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: August 24, 2009 04:38PM

Mustard Yellow, Baby Poo Green and flo Orange!!!!

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 24, 2009 08:09PM

Dave,

All you had to say was the "baby poo green" to get my vote.

YUUUUCK!!!

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster