I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Think before you gripe about a Supplier!
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2009 06:08PM

Some folks are quick to jump on the back of a Supplier when there is an issue with an order without really thinking first. That's one reason I tend to ignor posts with gripes about how some Suppier (board sponsor or not) messed things up or took forever to get it shipped out.

Case in point..,
I placed an order the last day or two of last month and it finally arrived at my post office this morning. Generally I have my order in less than a week so I could be quite
upset if I didn't take everything into account.

First, I placed the order late in the day before a weekend on a Thurs. so ofcourse the order wasn't processed right away.

Second, when the order was processed, my credit card was denied. It took a couple days to get that resolved and definately not the Suppliers fault!

Third, the Supplier did drop the ball and failed to bill the card again and ship out the order after telling me it would go out the next business day on a Monday (it just got forgotten to be processed on a very busy day) so I waited all last week expecting the package sometime after Wednesday and ofcourse it didn't.

Forth, I should have caught that there was something amiss by the Monday my order was supposed to go out. Not only does the supplier ALWAYS send me an email with a tracking number when the order is processed and again when shipped ( didn't get one) but my C.card Co. also emails me whenever there are charges put on the card which I also didn't get. I just didn't think! I should have caught it and a phone call or email from me to the Supplier that Monday would have caught the ball drop and saved another week of wait time.

So, next time there is an issue with an order, before you get all bent out of shape stop & think.
Oh! The Supplier even refunded the shipping charge. How about that!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Think before you gripe about a Supplier!
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 20, 2009 07:08PM

Excellent advice Ray!! It's just a shame that all folks don't think like this. They're like cat's and accept absolutely NO blame!!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.44.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 20, 2009 07:45PM

In my line of work, it would be a great help if folks would do just what you said Raymond.

Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 20, 2009 07:54PM

I tell my customers that any thing ordered late thursday or on friday is never reliable, as well as holidays, when its something critical which happens a lot i tell my customers that i will give it my best shot but when you have to depend on a wholesaler, which may have to go back to the mfg. things happen and its out of our hands.
Promise a little, deliver a lot.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (71.20.60.---)
Date: August 20, 2009 08:20PM

Good post Ray. I have been dealing with one supplier for close to 30 years. For the most part, I can call them in the morning, and have what I ordered with in 2 days. I like to build rods using St. Croix blanks, and this supplier usually has them to send out the next day. I recently ordered 2 of the same blank, and was told that they had 1 in stock, and the other would have to be back ordered. I figured "No problem" since I had the stuff to build at least one rod. I recieved the back ordered blank before I finished the first rod. When I placed my next order for 2 St. Croix blanks, and was told that both of these blanks were on back order, I figured that I needed to find another supplier. I called St. Croix to see if they had these blanks. I was told that they were backed up on their orders. They have been running over time shifts since March trying to catch up with their orders. I guess I was fortunate in that my customers were not in a hurry for their rods. I called my supplier back, and asked them if there was something similar to the blanks I had ordered that was in stock. They gave me suggestions, and I am now working on 2 Pac Bay blanks.

I could have griped about this supplier not having what I wanted when I wanted it, Once I talked to St. Croix, I realised that the supplier was between a rock and a hard place. I picked their brains about a good replacement blank. I am more then happy with the blanks they suggested, and I am more then happy to recommend Angler's Workshop, because they know their products. I can also recommend St. Croix and Pac Bay for the quality of their blanks.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2009 10:01PM

Thanks guys,

Been dealing with this supplier for quite sometime now. Awesome folks! It was a domino effect that created a small issue that I could have prevented myself.
Again, the point is that nobody is perfect and more times than not both parties are contributors not just the supplier when the rare problem with an order happens.

Jim C.,
I can generally place an online order just before a weekend and have had my order the following Monday if they are not to busy Friday!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Jan Zeiters (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: August 21, 2009 02:48PM

Ray the global economy is affecting the supplies of gear we use, I had a conversation with my supplier about an order being late and bottom line was his suppliers/manufactures are getting behind due to having to layoff people which has slowed down production and deliveries.

His suppliers are late ...His deliveries are late.... My deliveries are late.

For want of a nail, a shoe was lost
For want of a shoe, a horse was lost
For want of a horse, a rider was lost
For want of a rider, a battle was lost
For want of a battle, a kingdom was lost

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 21, 2009 07:12PM

OUTSTANDING POINT JAN!!!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: August 21, 2009 09:24PM

Great post! Great replies!!
Kyle Robinson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster