I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Intersect or choke guide placement
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 23, 2009 08:59AM

Tim,

It would definitely have worked fine with your reel. It appears your objection was solely based on how you perceived it to look, not with any functionality problems.

Several of the rods from which the 27X was garnered used the U.S. Spinning reels. The choker guide ended up "just about right" on those as well with regard to the spool diameter and likely line to be used for the broadest possible applications.

No one has tried to force anything down your throat. No one has told you that you must locate your guide with the 27X factor. But you should be fair in mentioning that you found no functional problems with it. You just didn't like how it looked to you personally and that's fine, but some of your posts seemed to indicate that there is a problem in using the 27X factor with larger reels which isn't at all true.

I have no idea why you believe the choker guide needs to be so close on rods utilizing larger reels (it really needs to be the opposite) but that's your decision to make on your rods. But it's important to be fair and if you're going to malign a method that is known to work well based solely on how you think something should look, please say so. I think most of the people in this thread were basing their comments on how things actually worked, not how they thought something should look. This is why the thread got so many hits - folks wanted to know where the 27X method was failing in your case. As it turns out it wasn't failing in function, just in how it looked to your eye. A lot of time and feelings might have been spared by simply saying, "I didn't like the way it looked."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 23, 2009 10:14AM

Your 100% correct Tom, I didn't like the way it looked, pure and simple. And that "look" was a rod that simulated the older "cone of flight" method, a bit clunky and outdated looking - just my opinion. I'm sure it would have cast great, but my setup uses less larger guides and more smaller lighter guides and this was my priority going into the build . And mine casts far enough for me. If I ever build another rod with a much smaller spool, I'll look at the 27x method, but again, if I don't like the way it looks, I won't use it - whether it casts further or not. I just feel if I spend my money, on my rod, I should be entitled to build it my way - and like I said before, I'm the only one I have to please. In fact, it might even be best to close this thread and dump it into the trash can. But thanks anyway for the input everyone has given - whether I agree with it or not is irrelevant and should have no affect on how I or someone else wants build in the future.

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 23, 2009 10:45AM

Tim-you were never threatened with a visit from the "27X Police" You sure spent a lot of time and space saying "I'm not building mine like that and you can't make me". I think alot of folks kept coming back to this thread hoping to see something of substance in what you were saying, not "I just don't like the way it looks" You must have participated in some forums where arguing for the sake of arguing was the order of the day.

Date: August 23, 2009 10:59AM

Tim,

I still don't understand your beef - not one single person here has said that you had to do things their way. No one here has said that you shouldn't do exactly what pleases you. No one has attempted to make you do anything you don't want to do. In fact, several, including myself, have flat out stated that you should do whatever you want with your rods.

You were the one maligning a system (the 27X factor) based solely on your dislike of how you perceive it to look, not how well it works. Everybody else has been trying to discuss the functional merits of various aspects of the NGC.

Please rest assured that no one here cares whether you use the 27X factor or not.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 23, 2009 12:15PM

Actually my post was #20 in this thread, and all I did was agree with Torin who didn't like it either - then it took off. I could have built it using 27x but that wouldn't have accomplished the task in mind - the lightest and most sensitive rod I could make. Where I Steelhead fish, the bait ticks along the bottom - I want to be able to feel this in my rod and see when my rod tip starts to tap-tap-tap from a strike. I didn't think I could get the sensitivety with more larger guides based on all of the sensitivety articles and threads by both you and Emory have delivered in the magazine and on this forum. Casting distance was never the issue, sensitivety was. I would have liked 2 transition guides and the rest running guides but I didn't think that would work. If I were building a rod to lift tuna out of the Pacific, I'd build it to perform that specific task. I could see by the way the 27x method looked that it would add more weight and be less sensitive as one built with smaller and lighter guides such as I wanted - don't recall saying 27x wouldn't work - it just wasn't going to work for me. EOS

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: August 23, 2009 01:03PM

For even more sensitivity try this- move the choker guide back to the butt guide location. Build it with all size 6 guides all the way out. This will get rid of all the larger guides and greatly increase your sensitivity.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: August 23, 2009 02:24PM

Richard Kuhne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For even more sensitivity try this- move the
> choker guide back to the butt guide location.
> Build it with all size 6 guides all the way out.
> This will get rid of all the larger guides and
> greatly increase your sensitivity.

Richard,

If sensitivity was Tim's focus, then he acheived it by focusing on using the products available and known techiniques in such a way that he successfully created a rod for this SPECIFIC task. If you insist on being the "follower" that you are and continue to berate the free-thinkers with all of your spare time, then send all of your customers (if there are any) Tim's way. He at least took the time to explain why he does things the way he does them, and the courage to post pic's of HIS work!!

Date: August 23, 2009 02:53PM

You are way out of line. At long last he explained what he was wanting and I provided him with a method that will give even more of it to him especially is he uses braided line. If he will do what I suggested he will get even better balance and more sensitivity. He will lose some casting performance but he openly stated that casting distance was not his main priority.

You have openly stated that you incorporate the 27X method in locating your choker guide. So by your own definition that makes you a "follower" too. You still never answered the question of how you located your choker guide PRIOR to the 27X factor being put forth. Surely as a "free thinker" you had own system that did not rely on Fuji's spool upsweep method or Tom's 27X factor. I wish you would share it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2009 03:07PM by Richard Kuhne.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: August 23, 2009 03:18PM

Richard,

Myself, as well as many others - I'm sure - know that you couldn't have possibly been serious with your suggestion of using 6's ALL the way. He still needs SOME casting qualities!! That was nothing short of just a smart allec remark!!

As for my setup, I expained it more than clear enough! I don't need to go into further detail. I stated very clearly that it was a RECENT build!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2009 09:52PM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: August 23, 2009 03:25PM

No, I am being serious. And if you have followed the posts made by others who use ONLY braided line you will find some of them do exactly what I suggested.

How did you locate the choker guide on your rods prior to the 27X method being made available? That was all I asked. As a "free thinker" you must surely have had your own personal method that did not require following the use of either the spool upsweep or the 27X. That is what I asked and that is what you have avoided answering.

Date: August 23, 2009 03:31PM

This topic thread is now closed. The next person that posts here, or edits a previous post, or insults anyone in any post elsewhere, will be permanently banned from this forum.

Pages: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster