I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broken Rod- fix or replace?
Posted by: Tony Childs (152.72.151.---)
Date: August 18, 2009 07:45PM

Finally got a broken rod back, first in over two years. It was a downrigger rod. It is a Lamiglas CM93 series, sorry for not having exact numbers, at work. It is a full graphite rod spiral wrapped. The rod broke about 6" from the tip as the rod was being loaded in the rigger (taking up the blowback line and applying load to rod). As your aware the ID of that blank at that point is much smaller than a toothpick, and I am not sure if the standard inside/outside sleeves to fix will last one day in a rigger? Any suggestions on repair, or should an attempt at warranty be made from Lamiglas, the blank has a perfect, clean break.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2009 09:24PM by Tony Childs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken Rod- fix or replace?
Date: August 18, 2009 09:23PM

The above post was in no way a reflection of Lamiglas. I have and will continue to use Lamiglas and consider them to be one of the best blanks for my applications, and this was the first like stated, most likely a fluke. Just hoping someone has either fixed one or another blank of similiarly smallish ID and can say if it is a reliable fix, or just do what my gut says and replace, hopefully under warranty. Sorry for any confusion.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 18, 2009 09:23PM

The repair must be an oversleeve - you don't want to employ an inner sleeve or plug. The idea is not to make the area "strong," but to restore it to what it was before it broke. It can be done. Refer to Ralph O'Quinn's repair article in the online library here. I think he covers that exact repair in his text.

If the blank is a clean break, then you're possibly dealing with an impact related failure. Obtaining a replacement blank at the standard nominal fee is also a good option if you don't mind rebuilding the handle.

Date: August 18, 2009 09:33PM

Impact was my first thought as well. I personally run two of these blanks in my riggers and have fished them for two complete seasons, taking many hawgasaurous kings. I load my rods extra heavy, and have never had any hint of failure, and they have lots in reserve as well. I may try the oversleave and if it fails, then replace. I just thought someone might pull a rabbit out of a hat with a novel approach that works, or has had success with this type of repair and harsh application. Thanks Tom.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.dr01.myck.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 19, 2009 10:41PM

Tony,
The repair is trivial if you want to do it.
First use an inner sleeve of piano wire. Go to a hardware store or hobby shop and pick up a selection of various sized wire. Or take the rod tip to the store and pick up a piece of wire that is a nice fit on the inside of the core.
The wire will give you a nice solid insert to prevent crushing. Use a 2 inch overlap on each side of the break. Then, an oversleeve, with a wrap at each end to prevent splitting and you won't have an issue at that point.

I have repaired many fine tipped tip sections using the piano wire method for the inner section with little effect on the tips actions with 0 returns.

Good luck
Roger

Date: August 19, 2009 11:59PM

Thanks, I will give that a try, sounds feasable, easy, and stands good chance of living.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster