I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A Rod Saved!
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-03rh16rt-04rh15rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 01:07PM

This weekend while fishing with a buddy, I had the unfortunate experience of watching him baptize one of my rods. Threw it right out of the boat. My shock disppeared when I remembered I had made and installed one of the Rodmaker “Rod Rescue Devices” inside the butt end of the rod. When I then remembered that I had never tested it like the article said to do, my shock returned. I was about ready to give up hope when I saw the float bobbing on the surface almost fifty feet away.

I learned several lessons that day. It is wise to have such a rescue device in your rod handle. It adds very little weight and costs pennies to make. It is also wise to test it at least once per the article so that you KNOW it is going to work! Another thing is that even with the float bobbing on the surface you have to remember that on the water your position is not static and even anchored your boat moves a bit. So where you thought you tossed the rod and where it actually wound up may be two different things. I had almost given the rod up for lost and then turned around to the other side of the boat and noticed the little float.

This is a tool I am going to start offering my customers for ten bucks or something. My plan is to come up with a small cylinder and make them before hand in those and then just insert those into the rod butt. This might be quicker than making each one up right inside the rod butt itself. That way I can keep a stock of them on hand and even retrofit older rods that come in.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Rod Saved!
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 02:52PM

The Rod Rescue Devise is outlined in RodMaker Magazine Volume 11 issue 6

Hey Ken! What was so wrong with the rod that the guy had to baptise it?? LOL

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2009 02:54PM by Raymond Adams.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: August 18, 2009 03:01PM

If you drop a rod in the water... hit MOB immediately on your GPS and you'll know where you should be looking...

I'm just going to fill my rods with an inert gas so they float. :)

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 18, 2009 03:07PM

I had originally tried to build the device inside a small tube but quickly determined that the space the tube required reduced the amount of room for the float within. This made the device less than practical on the smaller diameter rods. Thus I went back to simply constructing the device for each specific rod, employing the largest sized float the rod butt would hold.

But you could certainly construct the device independent of the rod. If you're working with larger rods that might even be the very best way to go about it. There is still room for evolution of the concept. Keep us informed which way you go.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 04:16PM

Where I fish, I don't think that I could stuff enough line into the butt to make it surface all the way to the top of the water...lol

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 18, 2009 05:11PM

Maybe not, but with braid you can do pretty well. 10 or 12lb braid is small enough to allow you store a good amount of line around the float.

Of course, if you're fishing the Marianas Trench. or some other seriously deep water haunt it's a moot point.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.206.40.162.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 08:16PM

Raymond Adams Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Hey Ken! What was so wrong with the rod that the
> guy had to baptise it?? LOL

Maybe it had demons.

Glad to know it worked out. I threw a rod my wife got me as a wedding present . Needless to say she wasn't exactly thrilled with her new husband.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 08:18PM

matthew jacobs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Maybe it had demons.

Na, most likely just Gremlins LOL!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-03rh16rt-04rh15rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: August 20, 2009 01:39PM

It was an eye opening experience and took place in about twenty to twenty five feet of water. If not for the rescue device it would still be there I'm sure.

The device not only saved a nice rod, but an expensive Shimano Curado reel too!

Posted by: ron sheppard (69.46.62.---)
Date: March 24, 2013 03:50PM

Hi guys Has anyone heard of a device that would allow someone to get his rod back if dropped overboard? Remember ,the reel has weight also

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster