I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

13 Years
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 17, 2009 03:45PM

The RodMaker issue that is in the mail now marks the beginning of our 13th year of publication. And as it turns out, the number 13 is anything but unlucky - this issue's mailing was the first time in RodMaker's history that we mailed to over 16,000 subscribers. It seems like only yesterday we were struggling to get to the 5000 mark. In reality, however, that was almost 10 years ago.

The Expo has shown similar growth each year and today while working on the 2010 Expo floor plan I see that we are only 7 booths shy of selling completely out. And it's only August.

The interest in custom rod building is greater than at any time in history and shows no signs of abating.

This is truly the golden age of rod building.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 13 Years
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 17, 2009 05:09PM

Yes it is!

I thank Tom for all his hard work in putting together such an awesome trade publication that with the help of some other very good rod builders contributing articles, keeps getting better with every issue. I'm not surprised to hear that subscriptions are up.

Thank you all!

I'm saddened every year that I could not attend the ICRBE. So far, no matter how I plan ahead something has always got in the way. So many hands I want to shake.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 17, 2009 05:56PM

Happy Birthday Tom!

Amazing that there’s been 13 years of pertinent info to publish with no end in site.

Posted by: Dave Burley (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: August 17, 2009 06:37PM

Tom,

Happy Birthday!

As a newby, I am constantly amazed at the content and great people here.

Thanks to you and the other contributors.

Dave Burley

Posted by: Tom Loew (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: August 17, 2009 08:32PM

This site is great.Can't go a day without looking at this site
Tom Loew

Date: August 17, 2009 09:13PM

The magazine is considerably older than this website, which just passed 8 years back in June.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2009 09:57PM

Holy cow! I guess I'd better send in my $$ for a "back row booth" tomorrow. I missed the show last year and promised I would never do that again. As in the past I'm planning to have "the ugliest rod lathe in history" with me as well as some other things folks can play around with (precision scales / digital calipers / depth micrometers so people can weigh all the guides/reel seats/ components that they want to)

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 17, 2009 11:57PM

CONGRATULATIONS TOM!

RodMaker and this site are an extremely valuable asset to all us builders and fishermen. I have learned more in a few years from both than all my previous time spent building rods.

Keep up the fine work!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 18, 2009 12:47AM

Congadulaions are definately in order here!!! RodMaker, and this forum have been such an awesome help to me, I can't even begin to convey enough thanks to Tom and ALL involved!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.natwky.res.rr.com)
Date: August 18, 2009 08:44AM

Tom, Congratulations on 13 years of RodMaker Magazine and hitting the 16,000 subscriber mark.

Just think some people told you when you first started the RodMaker Magazine that you would run out of thing to write about in a few years.

Lynn Williams

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 18, 2009 08:50AM

Awesome job!!! Longevity is the result of quality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 08:57AM

The key to the magazine's great success has been twofold. First, you have not reverted to just publishing reprints of earlier articles and Second, you constantly have something new---the next big thing on the horizon for rod builders. For too many years custom rod building was mired in stagnation. I think the magazine is one of the main reasons that so much has happened to the hobby in the past decade. I hope it will continue for a long time to come.

Posted by: Greg Hutchinson (---.a.007.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: August 18, 2009 09:43AM

Good on you, Tom. Thanks for all your advice and for hosting Rodbuilding.org. This site has been such a help for me.
Hopefully it will continue for years to come.
Cheers, Greg

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 11:42AM

Congrats on 13 years of publication.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-03rh16rt-04rh15rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 01:09PM

Rodmaker is the least expensive investment in rod buildng knowledge that I've ever made. I enjoy all the fishing magazines I get but Rodmaker is the one I am still most excited to see arrive in my mailbox. It is also the only one I bother to save for future reference.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 03:17PM

Tom,
Add my congratulations to the list. There are so many reasons to applaud RodMaker Magazine, The Forum and The Expos but the keystone of it all is you. Your dedication and brilliance keep all three expanding in breadth and quality.

My hat is off to you, my friend.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 18, 2009 06:32PM

13 years!!!! And I'm only missing the first two volumes! Congratulations Tom!!

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: August 18, 2009 06:47PM

Having the most talented rod builders in the world as writers doesn't hurt! Names like Jim Upton, Bernie Cohen, Rich Forhan, Mike Ballard, Joe Emig, Dr. William Hanneman, Gene Bullard, Ralph O'Quinn, Scott Throop, Bill Colby, Jason Brunner, Tom Kirkman, Andy Dear and so many others that I'm forgetting, means that you get information from people who truly know the craft front to back, inside and out. It is like having a direct pipeline to the most vast resource of rod building knowledge available. These people do more than talk..... they walk the walk.

Posted by: Jerry Weir (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 20, 2009 10:40PM

Tom,

I subscribe to the magazine, and enjoy reading all of the articles. But, keeping all of the hardcopy magazines does require a little bit (not much) space.

How about providing a login on the magazine site where current subscribers could login and download a copy of the magazine - Adobe pdf or whatever format you choose. Another option, which could save you some money, would be to allow subscribers the option of receiving either hardcopy or electronic format sent via email.

Just a thought.

Jerry

Date: August 21, 2009 08:34AM

Jerry,

I appreciate your comments. Currently I have a $1.20 gross margin on a full year's subscription to the magazine. Adding the various options you mention (all good ideas) would not be possible for the amount of funds available. Although CDs and electronic downloads are less expensive in the long run than hard copies of the magazine, there is an expense involved nonetheless and with things like write protection and double mailings (hard copies and CDs) the money and work involved just preclude that sort of thing being done here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster