I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pull ties
Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.propel.com)
Date: August 15, 2009 08:21PM

I don't know if "pull ties" is the right wording for this or not. I have been using a piece of thread for pulling the tag ends under on my wraps. I have seen the commercially available loops that are designed for this. They appear to be made out of a piece of monofiliment line and a colored bead. I am wondering what size/test monofiliment would be used for pulling size A thread?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pull ties
Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 15, 2009 08:31PM

I use 10 pound braid as pull ties. I also have a few that were made from what appears to be about 30 lb test mono, but I don't like useing them with A thread because I think they're too thick.

I have some 15# fluoro that is pretty stiff I might try.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 15, 2009 08:41PM

I use 15# braided line. Rip 20' off the spool before you load the next reel ... it will make dozens of loops.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 15, 2009 08:53PM

6/20 Power Pro Braid in Hi-Vis yellow works like a charm and lasts forever. I usually loose one before I wear it out. I dont like the bead, I've tried adding it to my pulls and the weight flops about and just gets in the way for me. I tie up 5-6 pulls at a time and have them handy on the wrapper 24/7.

DR

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2009 09:01PM

I only build a few rods a month so I can get away with thinner pull ties that wouldn't last a week with a pro; but for my two cents worth...

I use 4# mono for the real short guide wraps and 8# for the regular wraps. For the last wrap on all but the smallest guide wraps I'll put the tie in early so that I can snip the tag end close to the tie before pulling it through; this leaves the tag end under the wraps without having to use a razor to cut it flush. On these longer wraps where I'm pulling through more thread I've had a few of the older 4# pull ties break on me so I use the 8# on them now.

I have tried regular nylon thread as a pull tie and find that as they wear you may get some fuzzies from the pull tie that end up stuck in the wrap. Even if you flash them with a lighter you end up with a little speck of the pull tie color against the wrap color. They also tend to break after just a few rods.

Kevlar thread worked real well for a while but it does eventually fray and you get the same fuzzies problem that you will with nylon except that it doesn't flash as well with the lighter.

The sewing thread pullers that are made with thin wire have a tendency to raggedly cut through the tag thread leaving you with a freyed end coming through the wrap and your tag end still sticking out the end. The tag end will simply pull out and you can flash the freyed end but I'd rather not have to mess with it.

I haven't tried braided line yet.

A bead on the end helps those of us with fat fingers get a grip and it makes the dropped pull ties easier to find.
Instead of beads I find it more fun to use some of the epoxy left in my cups to fix up my pull ties...
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.38.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 15, 2009 09:40PM

Floss threaders. That's all I have ever used. A hundred of them is less than a dollar, and I can get about 25 rods out of one.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (71.20.60.---)
Date: August 15, 2009 09:49PM

Thanks guys. I just made some out of 2# diameter 8# test braid. I will give these a try tomorrow.

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: August 15, 2009 11:18PM

I also like the braided line. I use a little bead on mine. I also super glued a tiny piece of spring steel in the eye of the bead. On my thread carriage I have a couple of the really strong chrome magnets epoxied on to hold a razor blade etc. Now I just drop my pull loop after used and it ends up on the magnet with the loop sticking up. Easy to find and easy to pick up.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 16, 2009 12:28AM

Unwaxed dental floss also works great.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: August 16, 2009 02:34AM

I have tried a lot of different braided lines and such, but the best pull ties I have found have been the ones sold by Backlash Tools. They come 3 in a pack and will last a looong time. I tried to find out what they were made of, with no success. I was told by the Boss,,,Ms Williams, " If I tell you, I will have to kill you". needless to say, I didn't ask again.
Seriously, I have been using 3 of them since the ICRBE in Feb and I have wrapped a lot of guides since then.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 16, 2009 09:17AM

I have been using spider wire, 4lb test. Lasts a long time. I recently made some out of fly line backing. Think I like the braid better.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster