I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dream Rod
Posted by: Chip Sugar (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 13, 2009 04:59PM

It is finally time to build a rod for myself. I want to build a worm rod, a rod for spinner baits and top water rod. I would love suggestions on premium blanks and guides.

Thank you
Chip

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dream Rod
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 13, 2009 05:22PM

Your question is completely subjective. However, my initial reaction would be St Croix SCV blanks, Fuji SiC Titanium guides, Mud Hole's custom painted Fuji reel seats AND top-shelf natural cork.

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: August 13, 2009 05:40PM

I have been building on Phenix blanks lately and I have nothing but paise for them. They are very limited in their selection, but as far as your worm rod goes, I think that you couldn't do much better. It could be a hair faster for the real lite finesse, but they are so light and straight. I am glad that I went with these over the G Loomis blanks that the customer wanted at twice the price. You would do well to give Phenix a look, but it takes a while to get it so you need to plan ahead if you do go with phenix. Any questions about it pleas feel free to e-mail me personally.
James

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.206.40.162.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 13, 2009 07:21PM

Check out the Custom Builder series at Mudhole.

Posted by: Joseph Barthelt (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 13, 2009 08:07PM

When money isn't an issue, I look to CTS blanks. I had one custom made to my needs alittle over a year ago. It's still the best blank I've ever used.

-jb

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.206.40.162.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 13, 2009 08:50PM

After a little more thought, I build my rods on Mudhole house blanks. They've held up to 50#+ cobia, bull reds and light enough to throw weightless jerk baits to sea trout. For less than $20.00. You could build quite a few rods.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: August 13, 2009 10:07PM

I agree with Jim. The new SCV in flip green is awesome, but I was really disappointed when the paper towel turned slightly green using rubbing alcohol. I kept that to a minimum. Just the same, that wouldn't stop me from doing it again. On one of them (lady customer) I used the new metallic thread from Fishhawk and it really looked sharp. I believe it was G12 Spring Green. I got it at ICRBE and the labels were not on the thread. The SCIV is almost as good for less money.

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: August 13, 2009 11:15PM

I love my SC (III ; IV; and V/VI) 68MXF. This rod is a classic! Love the sensitivity of the extra fast action and backbone for casting as well as hooksets...great worm or all around rod, IMO. Two of these models I extended to 7-foot and they are wicked! I made another one of these into a spinning rod for jig and pig for a buddy....he loves it. It'll jack their jaws, as they say in Tenn.

I would consider the St. Croix III as a great blank because of the durability, lightness, and bang for the buck. The IV is pretty tough, too, with a metalic blue finish (not to my taste so much but I love the rod nonetheless).

I don't throw much topwater nor spinnerbaits...but if I did I would not heistate to use this rod, too.

Can't go wrong with Fuji SiC...the best guide for the money out there. You won't wear these guides out. Go with the smallest guide that will work for your purpose (pass knots) in not more than three sizes! Go with some micros if you can, too!

Les

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: August 14, 2009 07:07AM

I would agree with St Croix SCIV or SCV series. I also love that SCIV 68MXF blank. The other blanks I would take a look at though are the Rainshadow RX8 series. I am using one of these, the XMB844-TC, for a flipping rod I am making for the ABA district I fish for the winner of the district. It is such a light weight blank and I love this titanium chrome finish on them. I also built up another one, the XSB822.5-TC as a spinning rod for smallies in the river I fish near me, just got it done and can't wait to get out and try it. This rod is also my first use of micro guides and it casts light lures like a dream.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: August 14, 2009 07:35AM

Here's what I would do:

Worm rod--5C70MHF (if around cover). 5C68MXF (if open water)
Spinnerbait Rod--5C70MF (if around cover). 5S70MF built as casting, (if open water)--the spinning model seems a hair less powerful
Topwater Rod--4C70MHM (if heavier baits). 4C70MM (if lighter topwaters) (NOTE--this last rod is also a great crankbait rod)

Guides: All Fuji Titanium SiCs, 6, 5, 4, then 3.5s to the tip. All done in a spiral wrap.
Reel Seats: Either Fuji ECSMs turned into split seats, OR the Castaway seat with full contact to the blank. Front threads trimmed tight, so that only front hood shows when the reel is mounted.
Grip: As little cork as possible for butt cap, and mid-cork. Use no fore-grip.

If you can only afford to build one rod to do all that you mentioned, the 5C68MXF (or 3C68MXF or 4C68MXF), will do medium-sized worms, spinnerbaits, and topwaters--and it'll do them all pretty well.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 14, 2009 09:18AM

Chip I am going to respond to your post in a different manner:

Your post:

"It is finally time to build a rod for myself. I want to build a worm rod, a rod for spinner baits and top water rod. I would love suggestions on premium blanks and guides."

I am requesting a little more information from you:

1. Please define your term "premium blank" - is price the qualifier you are using to define quality?

2. Are you actually talking about one rod to do the three task specific things your post describes?

3. What is your primary use concerning the three task specific techniques you list?

Here is the reason fhe reason for my post -

All manufacturers of task specific bass blanks utilize different materials and tapers to produce blanks set up for specific uses. What happens if you select the "premium" top water model and expect to use it as a worm rod for power fishing?

To unsure that you end up with the correct blank be very candid and work with someone that has experience in setting up bass rods to match usage and techniques.

A "premium" blank in your case could be something like the Lamiglas DTIMC 84M which is a fine cross over blank for multiple task specific uses.

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 14, 2009 10:58AM

HI Chip,

I decided last winter to build a "great" worm rod for throwing Texas rigs worms on Lake Guntersville, Al. It needed to be able to cast worms with 3/16 oz weights, to be able to get through the grass easily and also handle larger fish. Guntersville is a place where the "tap- tap" could be a 7 lb or a 13" fish. You never know.

I purchased 4 different blanks at the ICRBE in Feburary, and have now built and fished all of them. My favorite of the four is the Castaway HG40- 784 from Swampland.

I have not used it for anything else other than Texas rig worms.

Regards
Bert Nagy

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.c002.t7.mrt.starband.net)
Date: August 14, 2009 11:54AM

Chip, you have been given sage (pun intended) advice. If this is your first rod, I would suggest a Mudhole kit. Very economical and will allow you to make a few mistakes without fouling up a "dream" blank that will most likely cost more than the whole kit. That's what I did & was pretty much blown away by the quality of the "low price" kit's performance on the water. It is a great rod. I then proceeded to go on to better components & have 3 really dream rods that are itching for the water.
Bill

Posted by: Chip Sugar (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: August 14, 2009 06:33PM

I have been on the road all day and just now able to check the post. Thanks to all that have responded. I got some great information. This is the tenth rod for me mostly Mud Hole kits and some Allstar blanks from Scott (Fishsticks). While learning I just made them and gave them away. It has been a slow learning curve. To Bill - I see you have a South Lousiana area code and I may give you a call this week.

Thanks to all
Chip

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 14, 2009 07:11PM

Chip click on this link:

Anytime including weekends

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster