I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grip inlay and trimband materials
Posted by: Jeff McGee (---.dsl.seanet.com)
Date: August 13, 2009 02:47PM

I now have a whopping 2 rods under my belt and want to make a foray into a custom grip with a combination of wood, some black and white trim bands (maybe in checkerboard) and I am thinking a band of black EVA or other foam a bit larger than my hand width where I will be holding the rod for comfort while reeling in halibut.

I recently purchased a lathe and am looking forward to experimenting.

What materials do you like to use for your trimbands and inlays

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grip inlay and trimband materials
Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range86-146.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 13, 2009 03:58PM

Jeff

I have been using corian quite a bit lately. It comes in 100's of colours. I like the clean lines you get with it. Also try poker chips, buffalo horn, antler and so on and so on. Look for anything any give it a try. Thats the fun

[solwaycustomcomponents.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: August 13, 2009 04:50PM

One thing I have seen other use also is aluminum cans, you get a nice thin silver band. I have to second the corian. I have even used it for a complete handle that turned out real nice.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: August 13, 2009 05:06PM

I am in the process of building one with a trim insert made from Commercial Congolium floor tile samples on either side of a 1/4 in thick Red Burl cork ring and a thin white inlay on each side made from an old credit card. Also there is a thin black inlay made from a piece of black plastic I found somewhere. With the rest of the Split grip being regular cork. All this is going on an ATC III 6 power Cherry Red Carolina Rod.
So with that being said,,,,,,,,you are limited only by your imagination !!

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 13, 2009 06:23PM

Go check out the trash bins at a say home depot. Plastics woods, most any thing you find there. Garbage pick !! Dumpsters.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.206.40.162.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 13, 2009 08:55PM

Jay Hunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So with that being said,,,,,,,,you are limited
> only by your imagination !!

Tis true

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: August 13, 2009 11:29PM

Deer, caribou, moose antler....these look great shaped into a beveled end-cap or as winding checks!

I'm saving the hardened epoxy discs from the bottom of my mixing cups for turning. We'll see.

Ever try snake skin? Feathers? Insects?

John Timberlake sells some great wood checkerboard rings at the ICRBE...looks classy.

I like the acrylic pen blanks, too, for certain things. They shape, sand and polish nicely.

Anything flat (or that can be made flat) that can be sanded and/or turned will work.

I've used a parting tool to make a shallow groove in wood, wrapped thread in the groove, filled with thread epoxy, and there you go! I could also tint the epoxy any color for a different look.

Les

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.propel.com)
Date: August 15, 2009 07:59PM

Check out some of the knife building supply places. They have a lot of different materials they use for grips and inlays. They also have tools and supplies that will also work for rod building.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster