I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Best way to get started in rod building?
Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2009 12:06AM

Russell, A few hours of hands-on instruction can be worth days or weeks of researching it on your own. The reading material listed above is definitely a good place to start but get with a builder or class if you get the chance. I wish I would have. As far as component selection... This is where it pays to visit a supplier. Think about getting to Mudhole on a rainy day. You can learn a TON just by walking around that place and they are always happy to help. It also gives you a feel of how different manufacturers rate their blanks( plus you get to dig through the bargain bin blanks). I always take a notebook to the suppliers to write down stuff I like. I'll also second the recommendation of the Batson line very good stuff and easy on the wallet. Lastly, don't forget a subscription to Rodmaker, that's money very well spent at any skill level. Hope this helps,

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 13, 2009 08:51AM

All good advice. The books available are virtually all good. Gosh, "Fiberglass Rod Making" by Dale Clemens might be dated, but the information it contains started many a rod builder and is still valid and useful.
One suggestion: if Mudhole says their workshop is sold out, call Todd or Scott and get on their cancellation list. People DO cancel. Case in point: I wanted to do a snakeskin inlay on a personal rod, but I was a bit concerned about spending a good deal of money for a skin and then ruining it on my first attempt. Mudhole offers an advanced workshop that is a deal and a half: a full day of small class workshops that teach the basics of weaving, cork art, marbling, snakeskin inlays, etc. I had previously contacted a Florida rod builder about showing me how he does the beautiful snakeskin work he does, and he wanted $150 for putting an inlay on a rod, and I couldn't watch...he wanted me to ship the rod to him. At Mudhole, I learned a quick and simple method that gives great results. I do the inlays now, and they take 15 minutes from start to the point where they are ready for finish. Point is, when I tried to register, the class had been sold out for a month. I emailed back and asked to be called if there was a cancellation. The next day they contacted me: they had THREE cancellations. I registered and was at the workshop 10 days later. In addition to learning to do the inlays, I met all the Mudhole folks, about 30 other rod builders (many of whom I am now in regular contact with), and had a terrific time to boot. I would imagine they get cancellations for their basic workshop as well.
Finally, use this board. There are some truly amazing and generous people here. Bill Stevens and I spoke for an hour about making decals. Tom Kirkman has answered every question I asked him eloquently and graciously. And if you follow the posts here, you are going to see Q & A about everything from very basic questions about guide placement and finishes to more esoteric subjects such as feather inlays, weaving, spiral (or acid) wraps, and my personal favorite, transparent guide wraps. Look at the photo galleries. Many "first attempts" are posted there, and they are fabulous.
A final bit of advice: YOU CAN DO THIS.

If you ever get up near the Kennedy Space Center, give me a shout. I'd be happy to show you the basics. We all learn from each other here: that's the purpose of this living, dynamic website. Trust me on this: in short order you will have tips and tricks to share here as well.

Enjoy!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 13, 2009 12:30PM

Thanks again guys. I signed up for two years of the magizine and ordered Tom's book. I just emailed mudhole and asked to be notified of any cancellations.

Now I just need to decide on my first project. My most immediate needs are at total opposite ends. Either a 40 pound live bait rod for an Avet LX or a 4 pound ultra light spinning outfit for panfish and salt water bait catching. Anyone that has caught a frisky blue runner and had a cuda (within spitting range of the transom) spool you in a NY second can appreciate the need for a hearty blank.

Russ

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 13, 2009 04:44PM

My advice would be to go with the UL spinning rod. Here's why:

The blank and all the components will probably cost less. You won't have to under wrap unless you want to. You can use single foot guides, which means less wrapping. Pre-made grips are readily available both in cork and EVA.
If you want to buy a kit, Mudhole has one available that has all the components (including a graphite blank). Frankly, you can assemble the components for less money than a lit will cost. The upside of the kit is you will get all perfectly matched components ana guide spacing chart for the rod you will be building.

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: August 13, 2009 06:31PM

Tom made a good point. If you want to only replace a rod or 2, you may want to buy the best rod you can afford off the rack. In our case, it was my wife, Chris, who wanted to start building rods. Some thing she thought she could do, and do well. She was right! Now we have about the next 5 builds sold already. It may be a addicting hobby, hope it is!
Mike Barkley had a good point. I have about 4 rods now built to match my reels, for certain fishing styles, and techniques. My wife also built 3 for herself, so she can go with me! It is kind of nice having something we can do together!

Kyle Robinson

Posted by: Mike Bradford (71.20.60.---)
Date: August 13, 2009 07:37PM

I am also one of those old guys that was use to Fiberglass rods. I was lucky, and learned to wrap by watching my Dad. The first rod I wrapped was done with the spools of thread held in juice glasses, and the thread run through the pages of a large book for tension. I have built some truely ugly rods over the years. I still fish with some of them, some of them are on Fenwick glass blanks and are 30 years old.

My advice to you is learn to walk before you run. Take a class or 2. Learn to build a basic rod that both feels good and is tough, and then learn to add the fancy stuff. From what I read, you want to build rods for yourself, and save some money. This is where I started 30 years ago. I am still building rods, and still fishing with some truely ugly rods that have stood the test of time. I smile every time use one of my ugly rods because I remember the time I spent building it.

Posted by: chad leuckel (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 17, 2009 06:01PM

HI , I was at the class in Fort Lauderdale it was great and they are a few guys trying to start a club around hollywood area if you call mud hole im sure scott could give you the info ,

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster