I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

7"6" MHXFast scum rod
Posted by: Victor Heal (---.gdrpmi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 11, 2009 05:21PM

Any suggestions for a blank ? I would rather not extend one unless I have to.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7"6" MHXFast scum rod
Date: August 11, 2009 05:55PM

I guess I should clarify, this is a bass slop rod.
thanks,
Vic

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2009 05:57PM

You should look at the 3SW76MHF and 4SW76MHF ... don't pay attention to the Saltwater rating, they are all the same when the bag comes off.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 11, 2009 06:36PM

You may want to look at the new Batson blanks, IMU and CB, here is a link.
[www.schneidersrods.com]
Also, there is the IMB944 on that same page.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 11, 2009 08:30PM

Victor if you want your Froggy to be seen and heard that is fine but if you wiant to get the the Hawg into the boat when it rises up out of the water and shakes the big head you may wish the blank and finished rod was designed for that style of fishing - head shake with short length of braid out with an XF may result in a ripped hook.

Please consider the following:

The Castaway XP3 874 blank is a true treasure when in the hands of a custom builder seeking versatility for building task specific rods for tournament as well as recreational bass fishermen. This 7'3" multi modulus blank was designed by bass fishermen using concepts that provide a truly unique rod blank that is dead on target for several task specific techniques.

The XP3s 874 is rated for 10 - 80 lb braid with a lure weight range of 1/2 - 1 1/2 ounces. The moderate action and XH power are perfectly matched when using non stretch braid to insure proper blank loading for soft lure presentation and a hook set softness that will not "rip lips" during hook set. When "the big one" in solidly hooked the brute power of the blanks higher modulus lighter rear section "kicks in" to insure speedy fish recovery from heavy cover.

The XP3 874 blank is the choice for frogs, flipping, pitching and grass mats when the lure wt is under 1 1/4 oz.

Bass blanks and rods for bass fishermen -

Using the Castaway Fully Exposed Seats and Swampland components the build can come in =~ 4.2 oz

This blank is one of the favorite fishing tools for Cliff Pace, Castaways' Elite Staff Fisherman, Second Place Finisher in the 2008 Bass Master Classic.

For more information please use the Contact Us Link at:

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.91.---)
Date: August 11, 2009 09:15PM

VICTOR ..TAKE A LOOK AT BATSON'S RX7 IFS904 OR THE IMB944 ...WE SALE BOTH AT MIDWEST ROD AND REEL,,,HERE IS A LINK TO THE WEB-SITE [www.midwestrodandreel.com]

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 11, 2009 10:20PM

Victor,
I'd reconsider an XF for a frog/ slop rod, especially if you or your client plan on fishing braid. I love XF rods, but I wouldn't use them for that. In fact, I recently broke a 7'6" MH XF from one of the vendors listed above throwing a frog over grass with 10 lb line. It's not a rod I'd normally use for that, but it was the only one I had with me on a trip to my neighborhood pond and my buddy started hammering them on frogs. I figured the line would go before the rod, but I figured wrong.

There are plenty of good options for blanks out there designed specifically for frog/ slop rods that will work out great and none are fast, much less extra fast. I'd pick out one of those and I think you/ your client will be very happy.

Robert

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: August 11, 2009 11:35PM

Victor,
I throw a lot of scum frogs and weed demons and the blank I love most is the shikari 7'9" XF rated 10-17 pounds... much lighter than most people would go, but if you don't load the rod past 90 degrees and use a good high speed reel, it's very hard to damage this rod. I like the XF tip because the fish almost doesn't feel the rod on the hit and they suck down the bait a little deeper. Also, I prefer this combo with 50# braid and a shock leader of 20# about 5 feet long. I see that Loomis has a blank of identical proportions, but I am not familiar with that blank as I haven't fished te Loomis version yet. Hope this helps.

Date: August 12, 2009 11:25AM

Thanks everyone,
I agree this is not the blank I would personally use but this is what he is looking for. Bill, I will check into the Castaway XP3 874 you have my attention.

Thanks again,
Vic

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 12, 2009 12:00PM

If you can get your hands on the FLW June Issue 2008 there are ratings for eight top knotch frog rods. Take a look. We will look forward to your contact.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster