I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First rod
Posted by: Jeff Bodnar (---.gvllcmtc01.gnvlnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 11, 2009 03:40PM

Finally finished my first rod. I tweaked the guides to better follow the curvature than what is shown in static. It casts well. Now to find some fish to test it on.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First rod
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 11, 2009 03:43PM

Nice job Jeff. I especially like the handle assembly/reel seat..... go find some fish

Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.sip.msy.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 11, 2009 04:08PM

It's on now all it takes is one and your hooked. Looks good and I'm sure it will perform great.

Posted by: Adam Harbuck (---.shv.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 11, 2009 05:25PM

I have never played with spiral wrapping; is the first guide turned around backwards?

Date: August 11, 2009 06:07PM

Yes. I read somewhere that this is done on concept guides. Not sure exactly where, I did a ton of reading. I figured it couldn't hurt and with the line moving back and forth with the level wind I didn't want to chance the line rubbing the ramp on the guide.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 11, 2009 10:02PM

If the guide is positioned properly, the line shouldn't touch the frame either way.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2009 11:10PM

Adam;
The answer to your question is No
Neither the first nor any of the guides need to be turned around backwards

Posted by: Jeff Bernier (---.dc.rr.com)
Date: August 12, 2009 12:24AM

Nice work Jeff, the tiger wrap is awsume and I the cools you have some talent keep it going man it can only get better not that you need to get better.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: August 12, 2009 09:17AM

Looks good for a first one. I think the one thing on turning the guides backwards was more on spinning guides for the first guide form the reel. I have seen this on a few rods, but I have never seen any difference in the orientation of the guides.

Date: August 12, 2009 07:53PM

Thank you all for your responses. As far as Adams ? I believe he was asking if my guide was turned around, not if it should be turned around. Yes mine is . Should it be? I don't know it's my first build. It seems to work. Tom I agree if placed PROPERLY the line should not touch but being my first build I figured I'd try it.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 12, 2009 09:02PM

Nice job Jeff. Nothing beats catching a fish on a rod you built, except for maybe watching someone else catch a fish on a rod you built.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster