I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decal Question
Posted by: Michael Kulick (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 10, 2009 12:16PM

Does anyone know where I can get a small Philly Eagles decal for a rod I am building? thanks and tight lines

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decal Question
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 10, 2009 12:26PM

Same answers will be found in this thread ... 1/2 page down.

[rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: August 10, 2009 12:31PM

Michael I would think you could find the decal you want (size wise) and send it to decal connection or Anglers Workshop. They will make the decal for you. You're not selling the decal you are selling the rod so you should not be infringing on any copy right laws. The customer is requesting it.

Just my thoughts but I'm not a lawyer.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 10, 2009 03:13PM

Decal Connection will NOT make the decal. They sell the decal and would be violating the copyright. Also, a copyright does NOT differentiate between personal or commercial use!! It's pretty simple, a copyright owner owns the material and you need their written permission to duplicate it

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dale Cecil (---.34-65.panhandle.res.rr.com)
Date: August 10, 2009 08:34PM

un hide your email or email me at rodarts@panhandle.rr.com

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 11, 2009 12:41AM

If you purchase the officially licensed premade decals or jewelry items (for inlays), you can use them how ever you see fit without copyright infringement reprisals. Google the NFL Shop or Philly Eagles website and you should be able to come up with something. That's how I did my Steelers themed rods, with the exception that I purchased my decals / stickers, hat / lapel pins off the infamous @#$%& site.

Bill in WV

Date: August 11, 2009 10:43AM

William Bartlett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you purchase the officially licensed premade
> decals or jewelry items (for inlays), you can use
> them how ever you see fit without copyright
> infringement reprisals. Google the NFL Shop or
> Philly Eagles website and you should be able to
> come up with something. That's how I did my
> Steelers themed rods, with the exception that I
> purchased my decals / stickers, hat / lapel pins
> off the infamous @#$%& site.

This isn't really the case ... at least not according to corporate attorneys practicing in intellectual property rights. Many trademark owners won't pursue the issue, but there are some that will. This is one of those, take your chances issues.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 11, 2009 10:07PM

I don't understand!!! If you've purchased an officially licensed product, then who are THEY to tell you how you can use it. After all you paid your money for the license of the product. What matters if it's hanging in someones ear or pasted on a bumper or window, or ordaining a fishing rod. You still paid for it, you didn't steal it!! Not being a smart alek, just trying to understand!!

Bill in WV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2009 10:13PM by William Bartlett.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 11, 2009 11:19PM

What I done with Virginia Tech was contact them and tell them my plans for a VT fishing rod. They agreed to allow me to have Decal Connection make 5 decals, in writing, it worked out very well and DC will make them with permission. All of this was done in emails.

DR

Date: August 12, 2009 07:31AM

William Bartlett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't understand!!! If you've purchased an
> officially licensed product, then who are THEY to
> tell you how you can use it. After all you paid
> your money for the license of the product. What
> matters if it's hanging in someones ear or pasted
> on a bumper or window, or ordaining a fishing
> rod. You still paid for it, you didn't steal
> it!! Not being a smart alek, just trying to
> understand!!

Bill ... the concept is actually quite simple. The trademark owner produced an item and sold it for use AS that item. What they didn't do, was produce an open license for the trademark. In other words, the bumper sticker can be placed on whatever you like ... as a bumper sticker. However, if you produce a different product using a portion of that sticker and resell it OR even give it away - they can pursue a trademark violation. Like it or not, that's the way it was explained to me.

Like I said, some companies could care less but some companies care a lot. Don't even think about stepping on the really big dogs ... the guys that have hundreds and even thousands of licensed products, fan websites, etc. Those are the types that will take offensive to you marketing a product bearing their logos.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: August 12, 2009 09:41AM

I wouldn't hesitate to use an officially-licensed NFL decal on a rod I built for myself. I probably wouldn't hesitate to use one on a rod I gave away, either. If the NFL wants to sue me for this kind of non-commercial use, then they can be my guest: I bought something from them and used it in a non-commercial way. What the heck else did they expect me to do with it?

But I don't think I'd ever slap it on something I sold, especially if the decal is an intrinsic part of the product, like a decal on a fishing rod is. The NFL is not going to sue you if you sell a car with a "Dallas Stinks" bumper sticker on it, because the presence of the bumper sticker is incidental, and irrelevant to the sale. But when you make a piece of licensed merchandise an integral part of a commercially-made product -- and let's face it: from an aesthetic standpoint, decals on fishing rods are just that -- you're going over a line that I myself would not cross. It's not worth the hassle, to me anyway.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.br1.dav.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 14, 2009 11:43PM

OK Jim and Chris, I get ya now!! I agree, I wouldn't put it on a rod I would be getting paid for, I see where that would cause a problem. I have, however, used officially licensed products on rods that I have built for friends and family, no money exchanged!! If they want to spend the big bucks on a lawyer to come after me for that, then more power to them. I just don't see ANY jury finding me guilty for something that I made NO money on!! JMHO Especially if it was a gift for a child, which is pretty much All I build for! Just a side note: I see the pewter pins used ALL THE TIME, on rods shown here and other Rodbuilding forums, if anyone would have a case, I'm sure Mr Harris would But I'm sure that he would never do that, as he was set up at one of the previous years expo's selling them. I have NO DOUBT that he knew full well what they were going to be used for. I would think that he was grateful that folks were using them for this purpose if even to just get his name and product out in the public eye!! Again, JMHO!! I'm sure that if I'm wrong for thinking that , someone would correct my thinking, and I welcome that!!

Bill in WV

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2009 12:02AM by William Bartlett.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster