I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Ring Clamp Needed?
Posted by: Brett Casper (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2009 09:56PM

I am ready to start building my first rod. To make things easier, I bought a G-Loomis rod kit to start off with. For instructions, I am using the instructions I found in a Mudhole catalog and I also bought a Flex Coat DVD. Now what I do not know is do I need to buy/make a cork ring clamp to clamp the reel seat, fore grip and rear grip together even though my cork grips are already pre-formed? My instructions only show how to make a rod with individual cork rings, so I have no idea whether the clamp only benefits the cork rings or if it is also for the grips against the reel seat.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Ring Clamp Needed?
Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 09, 2009 10:11PM

Brett,

There's nothing wrong with using a cork ring clamp to hold your grips together while the epoxy is drying. You can also use some big rubber bands. It's easy enough to make your own cork ring clamp. It takes two small pieces of wood, some threaded rod, and some nuts with washers. You can get everything you need at a hardware store. If you are not handy with making things, many of the sponsors to the left will have what you need.

jeremy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2009 10:12PM by Jeremy Wagner.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 10, 2009 12:11AM

Cork Ring Clamps are for assembling Cork Rings. If you have the preformed cork then no need for the Clamp. What you need is a good reamer to ream out the hole in your cork to fit snugly onto the blank. If it is a snug fit, no clamping device will be needed to keep in place while the glue sets.

Posted by: Edwin Kime (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: August 10, 2009 07:54AM

You will need some way to hold the cork tight with the reel seat. A clamp is the best way but not the only way as Jeremy notes. Large rubber band works and many other ways may be used.

Edwin

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: August 10, 2009 08:33AM

I use a bar clamp which is available at any hardware store. I drill a hole in one end and cut a notch in the other end. The rod (or mandrel) will fit in the hole and the handle will be in the center with the rest of the rod setting in the notch. Extremely easy and quick adjustment.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 11, 2009 01:08AM

Another note on what Bill just mentioned.......If you will do a search in the photo section for Cork Clamp, you can see pictures of many different versions that have been made by Rod Builders that frequest this forum. Remember: Necessity is the mother of invention!! You can go as simple or as elaborate as you like. ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!!!! I myself use the squeeze bar clamp the Bill speaks of and that Mike Barkley has a photo posted of. Very easy to use and simple to make. I believe there are several issues of RodMaker Magazine that have instructions on building clamps. You would have to consult the RodMaker Directory and Index, in the Library tab above, to see which issues that they are in.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 11, 2009 08:20AM

Definitely not .......... if you are using preformed fore and rear grips you don't use the clamps. Simply epoxy on the rear grip and let dry then install the reelseat and arbors against the rear grip ..... epoxy and let dry and then the foregrip .......... there is no need to compress them all together ......... the clamps are used when you build with rings and even then you don't compress the reelseat to the grips .........

Posted by: Brett Casper (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2009 10:47PM

Thanks for all the good information. It was very helpful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster