I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is Johnny's Pond still in business
Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2009 11:45AM

Their 800# is disconnected but their website is still taking orders but a couple of people have said they don't answer their emails when they haven't received their goods. Does anyone know what happened?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2009 11:45AM by Richard Hahn.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Johnny's Pond still in business
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 09, 2009 12:32PM

[www.google.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2009 01:10PM

Bill ..... what are you trying to tell me ........ just because you get a google resonse doesn't mean they are in business. Phone #'s are disconnected but the website is still taking orders ..... what gives?

Posted by: Jerry Hirsch (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2009 06:41PM

Hi Richard,
I was trying to buy some EVA grips from him and I didn't received it. After 3 weeks calling and couple mails(no answers,no response)) I used PayPal resolution center (paid by PayPal) I filed dispute and I had to wait another 2-3 weeks before it was decided in my favor.
I wouldn't buy anything from him!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry

Date: August 10, 2009 10:20AM

If you can not get in touch with them by phone or e-mails, don't use them. Lots of good people on the left.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.ssa.gov)
Date: August 10, 2009 10:38AM

Uh .....Yeah Bill ..... I got that. I haven't used him in a year.

A friend on another site placed an order via the Website which accepted the order and didn't get any goods. He tried to call but the line was disconnected. I tried the same thing ...... website still up and taking orders but the telephones are disconnected and no answers to emails ............. it doesn't make sense that the Website would be still taking orders if he is out of business ........ I posted here because you guys usually have a pretty good idea of what is going on with most vendors ............ guess Johnny's pond will remain a mystery .........

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 10, 2009 10:50AM

Sometimes a person will simply leave their website up - an oversight really. And if that happens the shopping cart will continue to function and so to, may the automated credit card processing service.

Date: August 10, 2009 11:06AM

I hope no money was taken out of his account ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.ssa.gov)
Date: August 10, 2009 11:51AM

It was but he is in the process of contesting it ....... problem is that it takes time and there is no official indication that he is out of business .....

Posted by: Phil Paterson (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: August 11, 2009 02:31PM

The problem is that someone can gain control of the website-not exactly sure how that's done but it does happen-and then they start collecting money for goods that are never delivered.

This has happened with an Australian Big Game tackle site that the owner let go and someone hijacked-this was just a few months ago- [www.billfishtacklesupply.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2009 02:33PM by Phil Paterson.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2009 01:06AM

A problem can occur when a registered and paid for, domain name isn't renewed. At that point, anybody can hijack it by buying the domain name. Someone elses hard work then goes to waste,unless the domain name is bought back. Typically at an outrageous price. Most can't come up with the money,so it remains "under new ownership." And because the originators can't access the site,it can't be updated or deleted.
Chuck

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: August 12, 2009 03:05AM

but if the new owners bought over the domain, they wouldnt be able to access the settings of the site either .. the webhost wouldnt just give the new domain owners access to the site

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 12, 2009 08:10AM

That's right - the credit card processor is still working for and depositing the funds into the original owner's supplied account. Nobody can "take over" a website and then have access to the funds that site may be generating from the credit card processor.

If you bought or took over the RodMaker Magazine website right now, any orders that came in via credit card would still come to me. There would be no way for you to change that.

Date: August 12, 2009 11:43AM

What ever happened, lets hope you can get your money back ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Carter (---.isp.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 12, 2009 08:33PM

Johnny's pond is NOT out of business, But good luck getting anything from them. I placed an Order On 2/15 and am STILL dealing with it. I continuously emailed them for my items. I was charged on 2/15 I emailed and called continuosly starting on 02/25 until 03/10 to cancel my order. I ordered all the same items from @#$%& (for less I might add) On 3/10 I put through a paypal dispute. On 3/30 without them answering the dispute or anything, I get a package in the mail from them. I refuse the package and have it sent back. I had already recieved all my products from Acid rod. Johnnys pond sent it back to me 3 more times. We are now playing ping pong with the package, I am past the 40 day dispute with paypal. i am basically fighting with no one. No one ever answers any phone or email.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2009 08:12AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: August 13, 2009 08:53AM

I wonder how many understand that Johnnys Pond is a "window" store with no inventory? It is one of those "internet partners" of another dealer who was once a sponsor here but was dropped for product misrepresentation. The acorn does not fall far from the tree.

If you paid by credit card you can surely recover your money with a letter to your card company. A call will not do it, credit card companies require that you send a letter of notification to them and the vendor. After that, you will surely get a credit on your card for the amount you spent.

Posted by: Richard C. August (---.15.210.250.res-cmts.haw.ptd.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 12:22PM

Dear Readers,

As of 8/8/2009, I am a FORMER business partner at Johnny's Pond, having been the last of the original employees to leave the business.

As of 8/17/2009, the former Johnny's Pond website is listed as UNDER CONSTRUCTION by Yahoo!, our former site host. This means that Johnny's Pond is officially out of business.

I regret that I cannot list all of the reasons for our closure in this forum, but as a FORMER partner, I can express deep regret at Johnny's Pond's inability to provide customers with better service. After all, this is one of the reasons I left the company mere days before it tanked.

Respondents to this forum list may write to me off site to find out the real reasons I left, even though an average of 70% of the items sold were either entered or edited by me personally, even though I worked away from our main office at my own PC at home. Shall I say that this was how I managed to work with Johnny as long as I did.

The recent economic downturn is only part of the reason for Johnny's Pond's demise. There are many other more serious reasons I am not at liberty to discuss here. Largely, these are personal reasons why I quit. I was the last to leave.

Thank you for your former patronage and understanding. I sincerely hope that you all continue to have good fishing trips with good catch results, and that whatever company you choose as your rod building goods supplier, you have good luck and good service from those companies and good luck with the rods you build.

Sincerely yours,

Richard C. August
former partner at Johnny's Pond.

Posted by: Fred Hindhaugh (---.citadelosg.com)
Date: August 21, 2009 03:34PM

Richard August,
What about everyone that has placed and paid for an order? How are you/they going to refund these prepaid orders. I say you because my order was paid prior to you leaving the company as a partner so technically I guess that makes you still responsible unless Bankruptcy was filed? I paid my order through paypal and although they ruled in my favor there was no money left in the account to refund my payment. How does one go about getting a refund?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster