I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wrong blank
Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.sip.msy.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 07, 2009 07:26PM

I had ordered a sc2 mh fast a while back and when I received it it seemed real lite like a medium. I just figured its the way this rod was so I built it anyway. Well about 4 weeks ago I ordered a lamiglas mh and it was on back order for 2 weeks. I just recieved the blank and im ticked It is not what I ordered at all. It has the right tags on it but it's not the right rod by far. There is no way this rod is a medium heavy it's more like a lite. It was suppose to have a .54 but it has a .75. This time I know I'm not mistaking. I feel like they just put a blank in the bag and put the tags on it shipped it. Has this ever happen to anyone else? realy who's to say what your getting is what you paid for. I guess it's a trust issue and I'm on the loosing end. Just had to vent

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wrong blank
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 07, 2009 08:09PM

Call your distributor AND make sure there is a rod builder on the other end of the line. Posting here won't resolve the issue. BTW, blanks are only judged in their respective categories ... for example, a MH freshwater is lighter than a MH inshore. FYI, it is very rare to receive the wrong blank in a tagged bag.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 07, 2009 08:30PM

I think I know which blank your may be talking about, is it a light tipped e-glass crankbait blank (CFC 80 MH)? Not quite the same thing as a graphite MH worm,etc. blank.
The guys in the NW like throwing Lucky Strikes and other cranks with them, especially in deep, clean Northern CA. lakes like Berryessa.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2009 08:34PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Greg Marshall (96.19.80.---)
Date: August 07, 2009 08:40PM

Steven,
It's happened to me on more occasions than I'd like. Even by reputable distributors. Some times they'll even give you a discount price on the phone and when you get your bill you've been charged full price. I don't buy a lot of blanks so I guess I don't carry much clout. If ever there was a business that caters to the bulk buyer, this is one. You have to be persistant. If you can email your order in you'll have a written record of what you asked for so there's no disputing it and they won't think you're a crackpot wannabe when you tell them they made a mistake. Call em, send it back, make sure they know that you're not getting what you are ordering. If they don't make it right, by cracky, there's other dealers. Piles and miles of em tryin to get a market share. Just look at the left side of this screen and you'll see a bucket load and though they're good ones, that ain't nearly all of em. Sooner or later you'll find one that'll get you what you order. You might pay through the nose for it, but at least you won't be burning up cash on shipping the wrong part back. I once swore off a big east coast distributor (well, now it's big, it wasn't then) when they failed to send me the RodBond I was charged for. The large kit of RodBond wouldn't fit in the 1" wide box that they shipped my order in. I don't care how you cut. They put me off and eventually accused me of lying. I ate the loss and went elsewhere for good. Again, I'm just a hobby guy, ain't gonna buy much so why should they care. I know it takes a lot of fun out of it and I feel your pain, but stick with it. The tide will turn someday, they'll need us little guys.
BTW,
Angler's Workshop has never let me down. Pricier than some but a good selection, good quality, I get what I order usually within 4 days or less, and I'm on the Gulf of Mexico. Best service from my standpoint. Since Rose at Clemens' anyway.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 07, 2009 09:21PM

What exactly is a "medium lite" or a "medium?" That's the problem with these subjective terms - what they mean to one person and what they mean to another can be completely different.

If the blank target specs are way, way off, call the manufacturer and explain the situation to them. Most likely they'll offer to swap blanks with you.

Date: August 07, 2009 09:42PM

It is the cfc 80mh. What i mean by medium lite and medium heavy is that I shouldn't be able to take the tip and touch the butt. Every medium heavy rod I ever owned never was like that. This blank that I origanaly ordered was graphite atleast thats what catogory it was in. I'm fairly new so it's just fustrating when you wait over a month for a blank and its not even close. Even if the blank is lite I still got other things I could build it for but not with a butt thats 3/4 of a inch thick.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 07, 2009 09:46PM

Who says you shouldn't? Again, what one company calls a "medium heavy" and what another company calls a "medium heavy" may be two entirely different things. Such terms are completely subjective.

Again, if the measurement is that far off from the target specs, call the manufacturer and talk to them about it. If you got the wrong blank, they'll most likely replace it for you.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 07, 2009 10:09PM

Steven every last vendor listed on the left side of this Internet Forum struggles each and every day to communicate effectively with all rodbuilders who place orders via direct contact. You note that you are relatively new to this craft. If you take the time to visit either of the two Swampland Shops that are located within an hours drive from you house you will be given the opportunity to pick up, shake, bend, measure and compare all the blanks that would be of interest to you. I will be more than happy to spend whatever time you need to evaluate many Batson, Lamiglas and Castaway blanks in the power ranges described. Bring the blank you have with you and we will check it out for your intended service. Maybe after comparing what is available you will have the information you need to place an order with any sponsor listed using a sound basis to insure you receive the correct product. Our doors are open seven days a week - almost any hour will be fine - working with your vendor is a two way street. If you choose to come to Baton Rouge you will leave with a free wop salad and meatballs dinner paid for at Rocky's!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2009 10:15PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 07, 2009 10:35PM

The catalog clearly says it's an all glass blank. Don't understand how the blank butt diameter could keep you from building it.
Large diameter, thin walled butt designs have their place, as they are stiffer for the same weight as the small diameter thicker wall designs.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 08, 2009 03:21AM

Greg I agree with you on Anglers Workshop, Jon and his crew will do every thing they can to make you a happy rod builder. One thing is for sure if you need A Lamiglas rod yesterday you well have it today. They share the same parking lot. GLoomis was a mile away. Garry's North Fork Composites is just up the lewis River from AW and Batson's is a day shipment from AW . AW can even have it dropped shipped to you. You might try an contact the manufacture about your situation It sounds like a miss communication somewhere along the line. I think I would take Swampland up on their invitation. If you never have been in a room with a dozen blanks from different manufactures and test out these blanks that all have the same rating, you well see a big difference in each blank

Good Wraps Bob

Date: August 08, 2009 06:42PM

I do plan on working with Bill from now on. I had ordered this rod well before I was aware of Swamplands hospitality. Bill I'm going to come out there I just have make a day out of it and bring that Rocky's for you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster