I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Repair Question
Posted by: Fran Park (---.mi-connection.com)
Date: August 06, 2009 04:17PM

I have a 3-piece White River 4wt, 5'8" long, that a customer broke about 4" north of the hookkeeper. I'm wondering if because it is such a light rod, can I get by with just inserting a sleeve inside the blank and regluing it, and doing a long wrap over the break. Will that be strong enough, or do I need to put a sleeve over the break as well? It will look cleaner if I don't put the sleeve over it, but can I trust the repair's integrity? This far down the blank, it's not a question of action. Opinions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Repair Question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 06, 2009 05:14PM

The larger concern on such a rod is that because it is quite light it can be expected to flex deeply into the butt area. For this reason whatever you do the repair must not interfere with the rod's normal flex in that area. Don't worry about making it "strong," worry about what will happen if you make it too stiff in that area. If you put what amounts to a rigid splint there, you're likely to have a failure at one end of the other of the sleeve.

I would oversleeve it with glass. If you prefer to go inside, use a piece of glass but choose a piece with a little thicker walls, just a hair bit over, what you have there in the graphite blank at that area.

Posted by: Fran Park (---.mi-connection.com)
Date: August 06, 2009 06:05PM

Thanks, Tom. Makes sense to me. I can oversleeve it. It would have looked better with an inner sleeve, but I see your point about the extra stiffness.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 06, 2009 06:09PM

An internal sleeve won't be stiffer, in fact, when done also in glass it will be less stiff than the same thing as on oversleeve owing to the smaller diameter. You can certainly give it a try - just make sure the blank continues to be able to flex across the repaired area. You just don't want a rigid splint there.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.br1.dav.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 07, 2009 02:17PM

I'll add this to Tom's point.....I would make sure that the internal sleeve goes AT LEAST 1 1/2 to 3/4 inchs maybe even a bit longer, to either side of the break. Also I agree to use fiberglass.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster