I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Reel Foot Size and Reel Seat Fit Questions for Tibor
Posted by: Earl Hamilton (121.54.92.---)
Date: August 06, 2009 01:01PM

I am building a couple of heavy fly rods for an upcoming trip in the Coral Sea. I have been looking for a reel seat with a good firm fit for the foot on my Tibor Gulfstream fly reel. I have tried several, (Pac Bay Chanel Lock, General Pac bay aluminum models, H&H and a few other s of Asian manufacture)but they have a bit of slop side to side or are too small(Alps Window fly seat), and one was much too big(Struble SDS). I would shop around here and try out but there are probably more moon rocks in the Philippines than any form of fly reel seat. I could use a Fuji, but I would prefer a quality all aluminium. Has any one here any experience in this particular quest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Reel Foot Size and Reel Seat Fit Questions for Tibor
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 06, 2009 01:13PM

Any of the nylon/graphite seats will hold your reel securely. The elasticity of the hoods coupled with the nylon liner make them the most absolutely secure seats you can use on any rod.

However, since you say you don't really want that style seat, you'll have to keep looking. If you provide the length, width and thickness of the reel foot you're working with it might help others that don't have that exact reel to be of more help to you. Remember, fly reels don't have standardized feet sizes.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: August 06, 2009 02:42PM

This one should be perfect and now available size 12 recessed version.

New Additions to the Alps Triangle Reel Seat lineup

Sequim WA – July 1st , 2009 – one of the fishing industry’s leading component suppliers, Batson Enterprises, is pleased to announce brand new ALPS triangle reel seat models for the upcoming tackle season.
The widespread success of the ALPS Triangle reel seat design has led to one new size and one new fly seat design based on the Triangle concept. We are now offering a size 14 Triangle design geared for the spinning rod market. We also added a new size 12 that features a recessed front retainer design that is perfect for big saltwater fly rods 8 wt and above. We stock cork designed to fit this new fly seat design.
• Hard anodized finish
• CNC machined from 6061 marine grade aluminum
• Patented Triangle shape

Item # Reel Seat Material Reel Seat Body Color Hood Color Length mm (in) I.D. mm (in) Hood ID for cork fit MSRP
TRI-RAH12M-B Marine Grade 6061 Aluminum BLACK BLACK 102.9mm(4.05in) 13.0mm(.512in) .900 fits Batson cork
FW7.375CA-340/900 & FW7.375CS-340/900 $32.51
TRI-RAH12M-SG Marine Grade 6061 Aluminum SHINEY GUNSMOKE SHINEY GUNSMOKE 102.9mm(4.05in) 13.0mm(.512in) .900 fits Batson cork
FW7.375CA-340/900 & FW7.375CS-340/900 $33.96
TRI-AH14M-B/PG Marine Grade 6061 Aluminum BLACK PALE GOLD 102.9mm (4.05in) 14.0mm(.551in) N/A $32.60
TRI-AH14M-CB Marine Grade 6061 Aluminum COBALT BLUE COBALT BLUE 102.9mm (4.05in) 14.0mm(.551in) N/A $34.12
TRI-AH14M-LT/PG Marine Grade 6061 Aluminum TITAINIUM PALE GOLD 102.9mm (4.05in) 14.0mm(.551in) N/A $34.12
TRI-AH14M-PG Marine Grade 6061 Aluminum PALE GOLD PALE GOLD 102.9mm (4.05in) 14.0mm(.551in) N/A $34.12
TRI-AH14M-S Marine Grade 6061 Aluminum SILVER SILVER 102.9mm (4.05in) 14.0mm(.551in) N/A $32.60

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2009 03:55PM

If you are going to leave the reel connected to the rod for a period of time in a saltwater enviroment. Use one of the graphite/nylon reel seats. I have had aluminum reel seats freeze up on me within a couple of weeks out in the Pacific so I had to use a pair of channel lock pliers to break the rings loose so I could get the reel off. Plus an aluminum reel seat will mar the finish on your Tibor's feet when you tighten the rings down tight enough to hold the reel in place.

Posted by: Earl Hamilton (121.54.92.---)
Date: August 07, 2009 10:40AM

Thank you Michael, Kerry and Tom.
Kerry-I have a few of the bigger Alps Triangle seats here and like them, and I also tried a 20mm Alps Centra Locks which fits really well but is a big reel seat for a fly rod. I assume that the Alps will be the same fit. In this particular case the 14mm Triangle is a little small in diameter as the blank is just over 15mm, but a 16mm will do the trick. I will probably get one of these.
Tom, Michael-I do agree with you both 100%. The grahite seats are a no brainer really for fit and for the problem of jamming up. Call me hard headed, but I would just like something with a bit more bling.
On looking for that "bling" I was looking at the Struble range and I like the idea of the Delrin inserts for the slip and retainer rings of the U29 spey model-but is this model salt water resistant ?
Tom- I have been informed by some of the manufacturers of fly reels, and reel seats, when talking of this foot problem that their products conform to industry standards. I for one seemed to have failed to understand how to match a given reel with a reel seat.
The dimensions of the reel foot in question are; L63.2mm x W13.5mm x H4.6mm ( L2.488" x W0.531" x H0.181").

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 07, 2009 11:36AM

Here's an idea for you - skeletonize one of the nylon/graphite seats and install a barrel insert of your own. Did you see the cover of the latest RodMaker? The possibilities are endless. You can make inserts, cut windows, etc., in these seats to get all the "bling" you want.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster