I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

allergic to epoxy?
Posted by: Chris Bach (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 05, 2009 09:20AM

Has anybody else had some type of allergic reaction to epoxy? I am new to this and I love it.My problem is every time I do any epoxy work, I wake up the next day with my eyes swollen half shut. Is this just me? It does not matter whether it is glue or finish. I am currently using flex coat for both. Thanx in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: allergic to epoxy?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 05, 2009 09:24AM

It is possible to become "sensitized" to the amines in epoxy. This can lead to serious complications. I'd advise speaking to your doctor or an allergist about this.

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: August 05, 2009 09:50AM

Have you tried some goggles to shield your eyes from any fumes?

Date: August 05, 2009 10:00AM

Thank you for your reply. I really dont want to give up this rod building addiction. I have only completed three rods but each one gets a little better.I guess i will just have to bight the bullet and go see the doctor.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 05, 2009 10:01AM

There are adhesive and finishing alternatives outside of epoxy.

Date: August 05, 2009 10:03AM

No I have not tried goggles, but that is my next step. Thanx for the idea.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 05, 2009 10:08AM

Please read very carefully - the goggles will prove to be useless if you have sensitization problems.

If I can help with providing a list of procedural changes or alternatives for the two part epoxy system please contact me via email by clicking on my name a the top of this post.

[www.dermnetnz.org]

Date: August 05, 2009 10:21AM

Please explain, what would you suggest? I can't afford to lose a days work every time i work on a rod, plus this can not be good for me. Thanx in advance. I appreciate it.

Date: August 05, 2009 10:31AM

Thank you. I apprciate your time. Very informative. Good looking out.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 05, 2009 10:33AM

Stop working with the two part epoxy and get it out of your shop until you can verify problem.

Go to the doctor and verify you have a tendency be sensitized by the use of amine bearing chemicals.

This could be potentiall serious - mine was!

If so get the two part expoxy out of your shop - or change your handling procedures - if you are working in a small, hot area with air currents, i.e. airconditioning blowing in your face, you are increasing your chances of serious problems.

Stop work with the stuff until you can get the correct information - it will not come from this Internet Forum.

If you seek alternatives that will work here are some viable choices.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.unknown.charter.com)
Date: August 05, 2009 10:53AM

Chris,

I suggest that you do exactly as Bill and Tom recommend

If your are hyper allergenic to epoxies: Advice such as using goggles, masks, latex gloves etc. will not help in the least.

From your described reactions I'd suggest that you stay away from all epoxies entirely, and consult with your physician.

I've been dealing with this scenairo for over 15 years <> But still run a very successful custom rod shop

My only solution was to eliminate my exposure to epoxies 100%.

... There are alternatives.

Bob Meiser

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: August 05, 2009 10:53AM

I believe the correct information can and already has come from this internet forum----- "I'd advise speaking to your doctor or an allergist about this."

Date: August 05, 2009 10:57AM

Thanx bill. Good advice. good looking out.

Date: August 05, 2009 11:01AM

Bob thank you for your reply. What are my alternatives?

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: August 05, 2009 01:44PM

One thing I would suggest when seeing your doctor is to take the MSDS with you. This will really help the Dr identify what chemicals you are being exposed to.

A few months ago I thought I had developed a sensitization. After taking the MSDS to the Dr and narrowing things down... we figured out I had become sensitized, but not to amines or anything in the epoxies I use. Believe it or not - it was the sunscreen I had been using every weekend when fishing was causing the reaction. The MSDS speeded the process in giving the Dr some potential causes for the reaction. Just helpful info to carry along.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.unknown.charter.com)
Date: August 05, 2009 05:16PM

Chris,

Give me a call sometime and we can discuss 541-770-4677 PST

I'm much better at phone chats then I am at typing.

Bob Meiser

Posted by: Jim Sawyer (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2009 06:26PM

Several years ago I was found to be very allergic to the epoxies by my dermitologist. But I continue to build flyrods. I am very careful around the epoxies and faithfully use surgeons (non-latex) gloves and cover my mouth and nose with a protective mask while mixing and applying. After applying, I scrub my hands and arms thouroughly. This has workes quite well for me. The gloves can be found at most drug stores (like Walgreens).

If people spent more time on important things, there would be a shortage of flyrods.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: August 05, 2009 10:12PM

oh boy .. after looking at the link by Bill, i thnk i may have slight sensitivity to rod finish.. i have a bit of skin peeling near the mouth which i pegged down to food allergy.. but it seems that it may be related to fishing!

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster