I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Feedback about new FTXL Dancraft blank ?
Posted by: Patrice NEZOU (---.crf.canon.fr)
Date: August 05, 2009 08:09AM

Hi all,

I would like to know if someone have any feedback about the new Dancraft FTXl typically 9' #4 or #5 .
What about the comparison with the old LOOMIS GLX ? Any AA and ERN measurement ?

Thanks for your help.

Patrice

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Feedback about new FTXL Dancraft blank ?
Posted by: Mike Marrone (---.hsd1.de.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2009 05:42PM

I think dan craft lists the ern and aa of those blanks on his website.

Date: August 06, 2009 02:51AM

I know the information mentioned in the DanCraft site. I only wanted to have feedback about rodbuilders.

Patrice

Posted by: Tom Charlton (---.nccr.epa.gov)
Date: August 06, 2009 01:04PM

I built a 6 weight off the blank and recently used it on some float trips in Montana. It is not as fast as the FT series. It also seems to be more line-specific than the FT. I really like it; it has a lot of power and "feel." I found I could cast very accurately with it. I was using relatively heavy double nymph rigs and with split shot and a strike indicator and found I could l lift 45 feet of line off the water, back cast it once and fire it downstream for another drift and do that for 6 hours. I can't compare it to Sage rods since I have used them. - Tom

Date: August 06, 2009 01:05PM

The guides also liked the rod as well. I placed a review of the 6 weight on Dan Craft's site. Tom

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: August 07, 2009 01:14AM

I'm really looking forward to trying one of these blanks out.

Based on the CCS numbers I think these should make an excellent fit between the SIG V's and the FT's.I'm guessing they will be similar to the old 3pc SIG V's,but with a little faster action.

Dan really does know how to make an exceptional blank,and at a great price.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 07, 2009 08:34AM

The earlier GLX rods were nothing exceptional as far as power or performance by today's standards, I still own a few. They are very close in ERN power to line weight rating just as many of Dan's Sig Vs are.

Date: August 10, 2009 09:07AM

I have a Sig. V, nine-and-a-half footer in the works. I will try to compare it to the FTXL once I have built it. Tom

Date: August 10, 2009 12:40PM

Tom Charlton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a Sig. V, nine-and-a-half footer in the
> works. I will try to compare it to the FTXL once
> I have built it. Tom

Ok thanks a lot. I am waiting your feedback.

Patrice

Date: September 24, 2009 08:19AM

any news about your feeback concerning the FTXL , Tom ?

Thanks

Patrice

Posted by: Tom Charlton (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 06, 2009 07:16PM

Sorry about the delay in this. I am embarrased to say that I have not cast the two back to back recently. I recall preferring the FTXL to the Sig. V. But I tend to prefer faster rods once I get above the five weights. They were both very nice. Let me practice cast the two back to back and I will repost. Tom

Posted by: steve bridges (74.11.241.---)
Date: January 06, 2010 03:35PM

Hey Tom - did you ever compare the two back to back? I'm currently deciding between FT and FTXL 9' 5wts and would love to hear more about the FTXL.

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bal.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 11, 2012 08:09AM

All -

I know this thread is a couple years old, but have you call cast and compared the GXT and FTXL to form opinions?

I bought a St. Croix SCV Saltwater in 9wt based on someone's opinion and really don't like how stout it is. You almost to over line it 2 weights.

I have thrown the FTXL in 10 weight and enjoy it much more.

If I were looking for a strong 8 weight or a 9 that is more fun to cast - what would you recommend - FTXL or GXT?

Thanks,

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster