I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod Section Turns Around when Casting
Posted by: Tony Scott (38.102.29.---)
Date: August 04, 2009 02:57PM

I have a low modulus graphite All Star blank and the tip section slips/turns off center line after I cast it.

What can I do the inside or outside of any ferrules to prevent it from slipping. I have a lot of rods and have never seen this.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Section Turns Around when Casting
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: August 04, 2009 03:01PM

I'm interested in hearing the experts chime in on this one, if it were me, I'd clean both ends up with alcohol, then take and rub a candle to the male end.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: August 04, 2009 03:19PM

Wax works well, not sure what type of casting your doing but in Spey casts this is a very common problem. I just put a little tape (3m electrical) on it when spey or switch casting with a lot of change of direction.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 04, 2009 03:22PM

Before we get started, how are you assembling the sections?

Posted by: Mike Bradford (71.20.60.---)
Date: August 04, 2009 04:30PM

I am kind of a new guy here, but have seen this with a couple of rods. I would answer Tom's question first since he has way more experiance then I do. I am going to make a W.A.G., and say The top of the male ferrel is bottoming out on the female ferrel. This can limit the amount of surface area of the 2 ferrels that are in contact with each other, and can lead to the condition you are describeing. I am sure that there are several ways to check for this condition. If you have a china white pencil or white crayon, I would use this to color the male ferrel down to the depth that the female ferrel covers. put the 2 sections together, and just before they get too tight to turn, turn them just a little until they go tight. Take the sections apart, and you should be able to see the areas where these ferrels are seating on each other. If the white is only rubbed off on the very end of the male ferrel, it is probably bottoming out. Once again, I am sure there are several ways of fixing this condition. Basically you need to shorten the male ferrel just a little, or bevel it enough so that when you put the 2 sections together, you see more of the white color rubbed off.

Once again, I am a new guy here, and I wouldn't run out and start cutting on my rod until the experts chime in. I am learning myself, and want to read what they have to say.

Posted by: Tony Scott (38.102.29.---)
Date: August 04, 2009 05:32PM

Thanks, Mike. To be honest, I am not sure what you told me to do but I'll figure it out.

Tom, I am assembling the way Lefty Kreh taught me - slide down and turn once in only one direction to tighten.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 04, 2009 05:50PM

assemble it 90 degrees off then with a little pressure twist the tip section until the guides are aligned to lock in place. to remove reverse the process.

Date: August 04, 2009 05:59PM

Okay, it sounds like you're doing this correctly. In that case, and assuming you're putting a good amount of pressure into the "twist" part of the assembly, you may have a bad fitting ferrule.

It can bottom out either way - the tip can bottom out up inside the female section or the female section may be seating on the male section too soon. Mike has given you some good advice and you can use that method to see which problem you have. Which section to trim depends on which section is bottoming out first.

Beeswax will help things stick a bit better, but wax also changes the fit of the ferrule and can attract and hold dirt that then wears the ferrule. I'd do my best to obtain a good fit but if you want to try the wax route in the interim it often does allow for a quick fix.

The thing is, the guides always act as lever arms and that effect means that the rod tip will always try to turn to the direction the load is being applied from. Unless those sections fit well and closely over their entire length, this sort of thing can be a problem.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: August 04, 2009 06:59PM

Use Mike's method to check where the ferrule is seating prematurely. The china pencil works well. A little trimming from either the male end or the female end will help get a better fit. After getting the mating sections back "in sync" so to speak, apply a coat of U40 Ferrule Lube. As Tom mentioned,w ax is a decent temporary fix, but attracts and holds dirt that wears the ferrule even more with time.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (71.20.60.---)
Date: August 04, 2009 09:53PM

Thanks for letting me know that my experiance isn't that far out of date. I go back to the metal ferrels, and the custom of rubbing the femel on the side of your nose to lubricate it before you put the rod togather. I am also "old school" enough that I learned to put a stuck ferrel behind my knees, and pull with my knees. Last resort was to have 2 people gripping hand on top of hand, snd pulling in different directions.

I am an "old dog" but I am learning.

Date: August 05, 2009 08:02AM

Metal ferrules were best joined by sliding the sections straight together. Integral graphite ferrules require that slide and twist to keep them secure.

Posted by: Tony Scott (12.106.16.---)
Date: August 05, 2009 10:31PM

Mike B. -

You mention "if the white is rubbed off ONLY on the very end". Would not the white rub off on all the areas where the ferrules touch? If the male ferrule is bottoming is not my only option to sand down the end or taper it? Otherwise, I would somehow make the female ferrule deeper?

Thanks,

Tony

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.propel.com)
Date: August 05, 2009 11:23PM

Tony:

Basically, you are dealing with 2 different tapers. Ideally, you would have both tapers the same, and this would cause "the white to rub off" for the whole length of the ferrels. We don't live in a perfect World, and I suspect that this is the problem. The white is a "tell", and where it is rubbed off will tell you where the problem is between these 2 tapers. If the "white is rubbed off" on the very top end of the male ferrel (and nowhere else), themale end is too long, and the top end of the male ferrel needs to be cut back, or beveled. I have never had a situation where the female ferrel was too tight, but this would show up on the "tell" if all of the white remained except for a little area where the male and female ferrels are fully seated. I suspect that the fix for this is to bevel the inside of the female ferrel, or cut it back.

I am sure that this could get into the "which leg of an unstable table do I cut off" type thing. Don't start cutting on the rod until some of the other people that actually know what they are doing chime in.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 06, 2009 06:38AM

Tony -
Now that we are both back in town and building ... come see me & we'll figure this out. It sounds to me as if the tapers are "off".

Ken

Posted by: Tony Scott (12.106.16.---)
Date: August 06, 2009 11:01PM

Ken -

I look forward to that "project". I will see if I can get down some evening next week, if it works for you.

Cheers,

Tony

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 07, 2009 07:52AM

Absolutely! Bring the new wife with you for dinner too. Pick your day & let me know

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster