I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metallic Tiger Wraps
Posted by: John Hailey (12.116.58.---)
Date: August 02, 2009 12:09PM

I have read from several people that when they tried to use metallic thread in their tiger wraps that the effect is lost in the sun. Is this due to their color choice maybe not contrasting enough or is metallic thread just a poor choice for tiger wraps in general? Thanks

John Hailey
Galveston,TX
I catch as many fish in my $1500 boat as you do in your $50,000 boat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metallic Tiger Wraps
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 02, 2009 12:54PM

Light needs to penetrate the layered sections to display maximum effect. If a metallic thread layer reflect away light the effect may be diminished. Some look quite good using metallics - choice and placement is crucial.

Posted by: Kyle Jud (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2009 02:46PM

I have had good luck with metallics on the bottom layer, but not on the top layer. I'm just finishing a silver and black on bottom with blue on top, and it turned out really nice.

Date: August 02, 2009 03:01PM

Click on this one to enlarge -

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Jon Black (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2009 03:43PM

Kyle Jud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have had good luck with metallics on the bottom
> layer, but not on the top layer. I'm just
> finishing a silver and black on bottom with blue
> on top, and it turned out really nice.

X2

Just finished the same setup with a Dark Blue Gudebrod NCP on top and it turned out well.
I've tried them on top, and the total effect is lost, but it could just be my inexperience. I've only done 5 or 6 tigers now.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 02, 2009 08:22PM

Read Bill Colby's article on the Tiger Wraps - his use of varigated thread creates one of the more stunning effects possible with these wraps.

Both his and Scott Throop's original articles are in the online library here.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: August 02, 2009 11:39PM

I like the monochromic scheme with metallics. To me it gives some very understated flash.

This one has red w/ red met under, red over:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Royal blue with blue met under and blue top with silver trim bands looks sharp also.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Jason Groombridge (---.253-220-147.TAS.netspace.net.au)
Date: August 03, 2009 07:18AM

I've used Black NCP with Silver metallic under then the overwrap with black metallic and that worked well.

Jason

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2009 07:18AM by Jason Groombridge.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 03, 2009 08:03AM

I use metalic black and silver as unerwraps quite a bit and really like the effect.

Date: August 03, 2009 01:47PM

Thanks Guys. I really appreciate all your help.

Date: August 04, 2009 02:46PM

One more question. I have looked around and have not found an asnwer to this question directly. In a tiger wrap, what colors will be the dominate colors? Will the base colors be the dominate or the mixture of the top and bottom? I want to do a tiger wrap using metallic lime green, metallic purple and metallic black. I want the lime to be the main color with the purple and black as the contrasting colors. Can anyone tell me how to arrange the colors?

John Hailey
Galveston,TX
I catch as many fish in my $1500 boat as you do in your $50,000 boat.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 04, 2009 03:24PM

The articles in the library, which are the original articles, answer this question very clearly. The top thread will determine the overall color of the wrap. The bottom threads are mostly to provide the amount of contrast needed to make the effect either bold or subtle.

Date: August 05, 2009 10:24AM

The articles do not mention the reflection of light that can occur with the use of metallic threads on the top layer. If the light is reflected away it may not enter the wrap and could possible detract from the overall effect. A comment from the authors on this "potential" problem would be highy appreciated. The use of a gold metallic on top in place of gold NCP does not look as attractive over the same base threads. Could it be becasue of the light reflection?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster