I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod usage translated ?
Posted by: Dennis Pedersen (---.adsl.cybercity.dk)
Date: August 01, 2009 06:03AM

Hi again.

I´ve been reading alot (understatement) on this board, and i keep running into one general problem:
The defenition of rods and their usage :S

Here, i find rods for salmon fishing, bass fishing etc etc, but, those defenitions are rather confusing for me.
Reason for this, is that here en Denmark, we have a different method of sorting the rod-types:

For example, basicly, there are 2 types of rods: Spin and fly rods. These can be divided into subgroups:

(Note: i never tried flyfishing, wich is why im concentrating on spin...)

Spin:
Lake / Brook (Freshwater)
CW: 4-10 grams
Length: 5-8'

Coast / Beach / Pier (Salt water)
CW: 10-50 grams
Length: 7-12'

Sea (Trolling / Deep water Cod fishing.)
CW: No knowledge
Length: 4-9'

General details for action on all 3 types of usage:
Top-Action / Medium Action and Full Action.

Example:
Fenwick Ironfeather II
CW: 12-48 Grams - Top Action: is used for coastal fishing. Rod age: app 4 years.
Length: 10'
Action: Top-Action
Rod age: app. 4 years
Usage: Coastal fishing.

What would this rod be called in US terms ?

Yah, that´s it: 3 groups, where i find several more in the US rod system :S
Also note, that line-break measurements arent being used either. We look at the break-point on the line, and go from there. Personally, im using a superline a 0.15mm with a break point at around 4 kg.
US fishermen, use line break point as the guide for the entire rod and reel.... i really never understood this ?? Hard to compare i guess hehe :)

Now, i really need some tool to convert the different areas off usage, and "number conversion" to be able to figure out what rod is used for wich area following the Danish "sorting table" :S

This cant be an easy task, but i'm quite sure that if i get the idea of where to put the rods compared to Danish "standarts", im way better suited to translate the immense amount of info found on this board :)

Hope you guys can help me out here :S

Oh, and please forgive me for any errors in grammar, sentence builds and other errors... English isn´t my native :P

Dennis
(Still waiting for a broken rod to show up so i can start my rod-builder journey)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod usage translated ?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 01, 2009 08:27AM

The specs aren't that different. Length and casting weight are given in metric terms in your area. Action is where the rod initially flexes. Here, Fast Action refers to a rod that initially flexes in the upper 1/3rd of its length. Medium in the upper 1/2 and Slow along the entire length. I would assume that in your area Top = Fast, Medium = Medium and Full = Slow.

Line ratings, other than for say, offshore trolling or stand-up, aren't really used much here either. They're given as a suggestion, but aren't really part of the rod's physical specifications.

Category types and listings will be different due to the different manner of fishing you have there.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: August 01, 2009 10:05AM

Denis -

One of the things I found helpful was to read up on how that type of fishing was done. General descriptions, but I found things in research that helped.

Example: I looked up what "hot shotting" is and how to do it. I thought about the technique and how I could apply that to bass fishing. I found some good resources that explained how to set up and they included some talk about the gear. Those basic descriptions of what to look for in a "hot shot" rod gave me a general idea of what properties a hot shot blank would have. From there it was fine tuning and just playing with a couple blanks and asking questions - including guys here who do "hot shot", even though I'm using the rods to bass fish.

Hope that makes sense!

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 01, 2009 09:06PM

Dennis,
Welcome to the forum. The Fenwick you listed sounds like what we would call a popping blank or maybe a live bait rod, but they are typically shorter than 10 feet.

In general, you could probably put most of our rods into your 3 categories. The challenge lies in the details. As an example, I fish for bass, the most popular game fish in the US. They are a fresh water fish that typically average about 1 - 2 kgs with a large fish being over 4 kgs. My rods range from 6' to 8', similar to your fresh water category. The problem is the baits range from 5 grams up to almost 200 grams for me personally and 300 gram baits for bass fishing aren't that uncommon. So our bass rods which are a small subset of the freshwater category contain a much broader range than what you have for freshwater.

Now think about this. Freshwater game fish range from .25 kg to over 100 kg and you see the challenge with the basic classifications.

Take Care,
Robert

Posted by: Dennis Pedersen (---.adsl.cybercity.dk)
Date: August 02, 2009 04:08AM

Goodmorning gentlemen :)

Thanks for all the answers, they are very usefull :)

I guess that the specifik myth around the usage of lineweight can be declared as "Busted" then. Was no more than just a question that had been nagging me for a while :)

Searching for the different terms of fishing and comparing the usage of rods under certain terms, will undoubtly be one of the main issues to get this complete cross-over list of rods / blanks that im looking for.

The first "real" cross-over item seems to be complete, when looking at the fenwick i listed earlier, as it´s kinda that info im looking for :S
However, it´s also kinda hard to figure one blank handling bait at that huge weight differences.

i found the CCA list, but cant figure out the CW on the blanks there.
Next step, will be to convert 4/5 and 5/16 into decimal numbers so i can calculate the weight in grams...

Once that is done, the rest is pretty much straight forward...
So... how do i convert the numbers ??

Will post the complete list here when it´s complete.

Again, thanks for your help guys :) Local tax-office have been contacted so i can have the rules on my side when i start emptying out the shops on the other side of the atlantic... Exept for Krylon paint... that doesent sell internationally *cry* ...

Best regards
Dennis Pedersen

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 02, 2009 04:59AM

On any fraction just divide the numerator by the denominator and you'll have your decimal equivalent.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster