I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Abrasives search
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: July 31, 2009 12:31PM

I'm having trouble finding abrasives to work with. I've found 400grit at my local home depot and figure I'd have to order some 600 or higher grit wet dry paper, what brands do you recommend for this? Also the higher stuff, polishing paper and whatnot, kinda the same question, what's the cream of the crop?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Abrasives search
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: July 31, 2009 12:47PM

For myself, with cork, I really don't use anything finer than 400 grit sandpaper. If I am doing acrylics or corian, I use the micro sanding sheets from Woodcraft which start out at like 800 and go to like 12,000 grit.

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 31, 2009 12:48PM

3M is what I find most often available in the auto parts stores-works fine

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: July 31, 2009 01:01PM

Ahh, auto parts stores, I wouldn't have thought it....this place rocks, thanks Chris. I plan on getting into the acrylics as well, so I'll have to scope out woodcraft.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 31, 2009 01:30PM

Andrew on line Craft supplies USA has Finkat paper excellent product in finer Grits
Arizona silhouette a pen making site has Kingspor paper to 800 or higher grit also check out specials on kingspor web site re paper still using the stuff I got at the last ICRBE from them
John

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: July 31, 2009 02:13PM

3M is certainly the best paper I've used.

Auto parts stores is where to go for the higher grits. And wet/dry paper.

I've got 50 thru 2,000 grit papers.

50 - 120 for Hypalon. 80 - 400 for cork. 220 - 2,000 for smoothing finish, stablized wood, etc.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Kevin Bergeron (64.237.22.---)
Date: July 31, 2009 02:14PM

I buy sandpaper up to 2000 grit on amazon, pretty inexpensive and high quality

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.propel.com)
Date: July 31, 2009 09:37PM

Check the phone book for auto paint supply stores in your area. They have an amazing aray of sandpaper. If or when you need a "polishing compound", check out Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen". This is what they use on "hand rubbed" gun stocks to get the "like glass" finish.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 01, 2009 01:06AM

Rockler Woodworking & Hardware is also an excellent source for Sand Papers and Micro mesh. Grits available are 60 to 12,000.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 01, 2009 09:00AM

My Home Depot has all I need. Auto body suppliers also give a selection of any grit sand paper you will need. I generally only use 80-100 dry-220-320-400 wet dry. Any thing finner I use a course and fine scotch pad.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2009 10:17AM

klingspors had a booth at the show last year. their gold cloth backed paper is the best i have ever seen or used. you can get it online. i use it to 400grit and then go the the alum oxide up to 1500 which is paper backed. they are known worldwide for their sandpaper and you will be hard pressed to find any better. i am fortunate that i get it locally and can buy it by the lb. it lasts longer than any other sandpaper i have ever used

Posted by: Mark Mulanax (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 01, 2009 12:04PM

BARGAIN Box's in several sizes for decent prices and grits.

"Klingsporwoodworking.com"

I have used their products for several years on my woodworking projects and find this the best way to buy sandpaper and as for quality it is great. I am not affiliated in anyway, just a loyal customer who likes a good product and bargain.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 01, 2009 05:47PM

and finally after you use the fine sand paper, use your good old brown paper grocery bag.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2009 06:21PM

John Britt talked me into trying the Klingspor cloth-backed sandpaper (yellow). WOW ... phenomenal stuff. It holds up very well and conforms to the workpiece - making life much easier.

As mentioned, they sell mill ends by the pound at the ICRBE show. For $20 you can own a lifetime supply for most builders (for JP we are probably talking a month or so ... LOL). They are listed as "The Woodworking Shop" on the vendor list and associated materials.

Jim -

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 02, 2009 03:54PM

JP turned me on to the Klingspoors at the show and it's great stuff

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster